One Turn Signal not working 1980

Andrew Burt

XS650 Special 2
Reaction score
Riding the other day I went to turn on the left turn signal and saw that the front left signal had broken off and was hanging by the wire. Also neither the front or the rear would left turn signal would light up. The screw had broken in the middle.

I ordered a replacement turnsignal on ebay. Took the headlight off, cut the wires and put in the new one. I was hoping this would solve the issue, but neither the front or the rear will still light up on just the left hand size.

Is there any suggestions what to trouble shoot next. I fgured it would be a fuse or something simple that blew when the wire got tugged, when the signal broke off at the screw, but I couldn't find anything.

Welcome to the site.

When the wire tugged, it may have loosened up one of the other connections in the headlight bucket, like one of the ground connections (black). Check the integrity of all the connections in there.

Make sure you have the right wires connected to the right places. The dark brown and dark green wires for the turn signals can be easily mistaken for black ones if dirty. Also check/test both left side bulbs. If you still have the stock flasher unit, it is very dependent on having 4 bulbs of the proper wattage. Vary too much from those stock values and the unit won't flash.

Riding the other day I went to turn on the left turn signal and saw that the front left signal had broken off and was hanging by the wire. Also neither the front or the rear would left turn signal would light up. The screw had broken in the middle.

I ordered a replacement turnsignal on ebay. Took the headlight off, cut the wires and put in the new one. I was hoping this would solve the issue, but neither the front or the rear will still light up on just the left hand size.

Is there any suggestions what to trouble shoot next. I fgured it would be a fuse or something simple that blew when the wire got tugged, when the signal broke off at the screw, but I couldn't find anything.

Ok, Thanks for the help, it gave me some great ideas of what to try. I tried plugging in the left lights into the right connectors, and they ignighted propertly. Then tried the right in the left with no luck. So I now knew it wasn't the actual indicators. I followed the wires to the turn signal horn switches. I went to remove that and the indicators started working, so I knew it was something loose in there. I went the rest of the way in taking the rest apart. It appears that the soder joint had come loose at the little switch within. Unfortunately I don't think there is even the slightest chance of me fixing it while it is still on the bike. I'm going to go ahead and order a replacement set of switches, after I put the new one on I'll try and resoder everything so it works properly.

Back