ongoing upgrade to XS750 front end

BarrieC

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
having lots of challenges with the change over to XS750 front end (i had no front end at all so not really an upgrade)
I was just doing a mock-up before welding the stem to the bottom yoke and found that the raised part of the bottom yoke that the bearing sits against holds the bottom yoke away from the frame.
In the photo silver is the XS750 and black one is XS650
With the XS750, and taper roller bearing, the bottom yoke hits the frame neck tube before the bearing.
I guess the solution is spacers before fitting the bearing on the stem to raise it up - bit of a balencing act so that it does not shorten the length of stem coming out of the top, particularly with the Taper roller bearings .
Any thoughts?
I will do a full write up once i have it completed!
Barrie

Attachments

• Bloody yokes!.jpg
    Bloody yokes!.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 86
It's been a while and the bike is now someone else's but I put a 3mm spacing washer (iirc) on the 750's lower to compensate for that platform of sorts. Measure it and double check.
I put the triple, neck, forks....pretty much the whole front end together (but not in the frame) when it was welded together. That was my second attempt and the one that was successful. Got a pic here somewheres of the finished stance.......
IMG_0397.JPG

Thanks NJ, couple of things ive realised i can do prior to mock-up (and getting the bearing off the stem each time!) once i have measured and got the correct spacer, before putting the stem on, I can just place the bearing and spacer on top of the yoke and offer it up to the bottom of the frame neck, if it is suitably clear, its good.
If that checks i can measure from bottom of yoke to top of top bearing to make sure i have enough stem at the top.
Thanks for confirmation that worked for you,

Barrie

Back