Only running on one cylinder.

Got 12.2 then ignition on got 12.0. Bike running 12.02

No No ... that is not good enough 12 .02 running
A fresh battery has 12.7 V out of the box precharged ( bought one yesterday not knowing what battery ..here )

Try to rev it se if you can get 14 V ish and switch on the light see if it changes intensity revving
Charging outside the bike can be an option.
But it looks as you are not charging on the bike

No No ... that is not good enough 12 .02 running
A fresh battery has 12.7 V out of the box precharged ( bought one yesterday not knowing what battery ..here )

Try to rev it se if you can get 14 V ish and switch on the light see if it changes intensity revving
Charging outside the bike can be an option.
But it looks as you are not charging on the bike
I got the battery charging now. It's a newer battery so I doubt it's that, but I fully charge will help. The headlight stopped working the other day, so maybe it's related? Look like I need to check some wires. Thanks

As Jan said: your readings indicate a low battery and charging system not working. Strange that it sparks well, but could be related. You need to test wiring and also coils. The XS Charge ignition pickup cannot be tested so far as I know

Last edited:
The headlight stopped working the other day, so maybe it's related?

Your '79 uses a headlight relay to turn on the headlight. It's energized by 5-6vac from the alternator after the engine is running. If the alternator isn't charging, the headlight won't come on.

Ok new update, sorry to mention I'm running Mike's xs charge pma system. I used a timing light and I'm dead on. Bike was running on two cylinders after I adjusted the timing. But now it's only running right cylinder. I cleaned the carbs again but nothing. It backfires out left carb manifold and tail pipe. I believe it's getting enough fuel because the plug is wet. Any advice would be appreciated thank you
:shrug:

Your '79 uses a headlight relay to turn on the headlight. It's energized by 5-6vac from the alternator after the engine is running. If the alternator isn't charging, the headlight won't come on.
I don't have the stock wiring anymore had someone build me a barebones kit, just running lights, starter, and pma, thanks. I'll chase wires

Back