Orange county Cafe project

inda_bebe

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
New here to the forum. Picked up a 650 yesterday and just looking to join a community for some help and feedback. It's a '82 and everything seems to be original and not chopped up. Plans for the bike is the change the tank to something square, build a seat pan with a cafe seat, convert to LEDs and clean up the wiring to keep it clean and minimal. Not a fan of how many spokes are on this (reminds me of Daytons), so Im also gonna change it to less spokes.

I already removed the gastank and did a mock up with a tank from an xs400. You guys recommend the M- Unit, or build harness from scratch?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220228-100958.png
    Screenshot_20220228-100958.png
    446 KB · Views: 151
  • Screenshot_20220228-101014.png
    Screenshot_20220228-101014.png
    569.1 KB · Views: 149
  • PXL_20220228_193730127.jpg
    PXL_20220228_193730127.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 167
I wouldn't call that exactly stock, but it looks perfect for what you want to do.
How spendy do you want to get? M Unit is very cool, especially the little switches. Very spendy.
The easy way is to remove the safety circuits you don't want and run the stock harness. Save $$$. It's a matter of how much time and money you have.
It looks like good bones. Somebody wants those wheels.

It is expensive, which is the reason why I'm researching if there's other ways to clean it up and hide those huge relays and fuses. I'll be posting the those wheels up for sale ones I know this engine can run

I got a fiberglass cafe seat if your interested. (Plenty of room in the hump to hide your battery and electronics especially if you make a little tray under the main section)

Just up north in Pismo beach.

It is expensive, which is the reason why I'm researching if there's other ways to clean it up and hide those huge relays and fuses. I'll be posting the those wheels up for sale ones I know this engine can run
There's a sidestand relay you can eliminate and also the clutch safety relay. Info on that is in here if you search. A mini blade fuse box is also a good idea. There's a bunch of crap gone already. If you're going to LED lights, there's headlight safety relay that also goes away. All that and it will still operate as a stock bike.

Last edited:
Yes, there are a couple added safety relays on your model that you can (and should) remove. Here's a thread on the '83 I'm fixing up. It covers the relays plus much more. The '83 model is the same as your '82 except for some cosmetic differences (no blacked out parts) .....

https://www.xs650.com/threads/200-special.51454/

I haven't cafed the bike, just done what we like to call a "resto-mod". It isn't changed cosmetically much from stock but has lots of little mods to improve the way it handles, brakes, and runs.

NewWheelMounted4.jpg

so far it cranks. cleaned the carbs, put in a new battery. the starter switch isnt working, just i jumped solenoid and it cranks. gonna get a new set of spark plugs and hopefully it at least fires up.

Thanks. i had a xs400 project and finding things here and there piece by piece gave me the biggest headache. this time i told myself to buy a complete bike so at least i have a good reference and parts are a lot easier to find.

Thanks. i had a xs400 project and finding things here and there piece by piece gave me the biggest headache. this time i told myself to buy a complete bike so at least i have a good reference and parts are a lot easier to find.
If you have the stock bike running, you’ll have fewer variables to stumble on when you start to modify it.

Looking at your last pic, it seems your wiring has been "modded". I don't see one of the added safety relays we mentioned, the clutch switch one .....

ClutchSwitchRelay.jpg

Power to the solenoid passes through it so if removed, you must add a jumper wire or the starter button won't work .....

83Relays3.jpg

good eye. im actually just going to go with the m-unit. im gonna try and tackle it myself. if anything. ill keep the stock harness.
I will watch along closely with this.
I have an M-Unit for my Welsh Flat Tracker. I did not start the rewire yet as I am waiting for some auxiliary wiring parts from Revival Motors in USA.
If they arrive in time we could document the process in tandem?
Cheers,
Ads.:devil:

I will watch along closely with this.
I have an M-Unit for my Welsh Flat Tracker. I did not start the rewire yet as I am waiting for some auxiliary wiring parts from Revival Motors in USA.
If they arrive in time we could document the process in tandem?
Cheers,
Ads.:devil:
absolutely. i got a neighbor who hooked up his m-unit on his CB. hell be able to help as well. did you also get the M- Button?

absolutely. i got a neighbor who hooked up his m-unit on his CB. hell be able to help as well. did you also get the M- Button?
Yep Got the M-Button.
What I'm waiting for are the Revival Momentary switches which are a better design than others on the market.
Also some harness cover and waterproof connectors. Some here might say all this may be overkill; but it my bike....so there!
I just want to make the loom as reliable as possible with modern advantages.
Check out my build thread The Welsh Flat Tracker Revival; which made the Calendar for this year.
Also check out Revival Cycles switches & other kit: https://revivalcycles.com/products/type-1-7-8-inch?variant=39629416038465

Screenshot 2022-03-02 at 17.54.12.png

An '82 should have only one coil, a dual output one with two plug wires. Before throwing any money at it, I'd be testing stuff. Testing and tracing the wiring to make sure when you turn the key on, 12 volts is being delivered to the various components (coil, TCI box) as it should be.

StockCoil2.jpg

StockCoil3.jpg

Back