Orange Cycle Parts Gasket Scraper by Motion Pro 08-0601

Nope. Others here may scoff or go.... :yikes: ... but I've been known to jus' use a single edge razor for the hard to get bits. :whistle:

I suggest this 3 piece set instead. I have just the middle size (15mm) I got from MikesXS many years ago and it's a wonderful tool. Nicest gasket scraper I own and have ever used .....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1922098829...09ZNyD9:sc:ShippingMethodStandard!14075!US!-1

But the thing with gasket scraping is you don't want to have to scrape very hard for fear of damaging the gasket surface. To accomplish that, I apply paint stripper to the old gasket first to soften it up. Let it soak for 10 minutes or so and most, if not all, of the gasket will scrape off very easily. It often does take a couple of applications to get it all off but no damage is done to the sealing surface.

Left to right; stainless steel strips pulled from junk windshield wiper blades, ends ground for use as scrapers, gasket removers, perfect for tiny surfaces like float bowl gaskets (I can usually reuse even old, stuck on, float bowl gaskets) or hard to reach corners, utility blade with duct tape, stiff paint scraper. Above; hacksaw blade ground at an angle, tape for handle. Note corners are rounded on all but the utility knife blades. :twocents: If you don't have a sharp corner, you won't gouge aluminum.
scraper blades.jpg

The notch in the side of the paint scraper was for scraping varnish off oak moldings in a hundred year old house, over 30 years ago.

Although I have that nice, fancy scraper from Mike's, what I use most are a couple of old, small knives with broken off tips .....

COXRrZ6.jpg

I ground, filed, and sharpened those broken tips so I could use the knives as a push type scraper, but I mostly use them like a normal knife. I scrape or "carve" the gasket off with the long, sharp side edge of the blade, the normal cutting edge.

YEdVx7U.jpg

No, I never tried that stuff, but I don't think it's much more than paint stripper in a spray can, lol. I got the paint stripper tip many years ago from one of the cycle magazines. It's also great for removing carbon from pistons and combustion chambers.

No, I never tried that stuff, but I don't think it's much more than paint stripper in a spray can, lol. I got the paint stripper tip many years ago from one of the cycle magazines. It's also great for removing carbon from pistons and combustion chambers.
What kind/brand do you use?

The one in my pic above works well, the original Zip-Strip, but I've tried others. Some do work a little better than others but they all work. Caution, wear rubber gloves, it's strong stuff, lol. Get it on your hands and you'll feel it start burning.

I have removed gaskets off of more than my fair share of 50+ year old Italian scooters and motorbikes and I mean the gaskets that are so old and crusty and fused that a razor blade barely slices it like your whittling a stick and these have always did the job.

eats the gasket, not the surface.

3m nylon discs (they make a scotchbrite style one that works too)

8A0A7A7E-8644-4A92-8E0F-A12D7D5CD139.jpeg

Back