Other Bikes and Workshop Woes

First image was the 1979 CB650 I had for seven years, didn't ever have to do any major mechanical stuff on it. Bought it running but in sore need of a tune up and it was Tennessee Vols orange which was hideous. Tune up, paint, replaced the handlebar and seat cover, the only real mechanical repair I had to do to it was rebuilding the master cylinder and replacing an ignition module that fried when the ground came loose out riding.

Second is a 1984 CB700SC Nighthawk that was owned by a buddy a few years back, he bought it off the side of the interstate broken down. We were working at a Hyundai dealer at the time, we pushed the bike to the shop he gave the owner $500 and a ride home. Ended up having to split the cases and replace the alternator/starter chain and repaired the chain tensioner guide with epoxy and a grinder. That bike we also painted and cleaned up the polished aluminum on.

Next couple are a 1982 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk and a 1981 Honda CM400C that I basically bought got running and flipped. Both were non running with the typical clogged emulsification tubes of those engines. My wife has said several times that she wants to learn to ride, and we bought both of those for her to learn on, both times I've got them running real well only to have her wind up pregnant immediately after and end up just selling them rather than let them sit in the garage taking up space.

I've also got a 1976 Honda CB550K sitting in the garage right now that I got running for a friend and put tires on but don't have any pictures of it. It's still in pretty rough shape appearance wise but it fires right up and can ride around now. He's been coming to pick it up for a couple weeks now.

Let me add this too, someone a few pages back said they don't like any of the Honda SOHC/4s but the 750s, While I mostly agree with that statement, if you get a chance to ride a good running 1979 CB650 I say take it and you'll probably change your mind. The CB650 was just as quick as the 750s, even though only for that one year as they neutered it the very next year. The engine was almost as powerful as the 750 engine but put into the smaller lighter CB550 frame. Where the CB550 feels like a dog that first year CB650 will slide you backwards on the seat.

Attachments

• last picture.jpg
    last picture.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 194
  • 0219110802.jpg
    0219110802.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 196
  • original nighthawk right.jpg
    original nighthawk right.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 231
  • Clean CM400C right.jpg
    Clean CM400C right.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
Worked on many of those back in the day. But, very little in the way of engine overhauls. Seems that they were over-engineered and underpowered for their weight, and would run forever. One of the shop owner/partners had me prep his for road racing, mild engine work and full-race fairing. It was mostly a "wind it to redline" and "wait for things to happen" kinda experience...
Yes, that's exactly what I've heard...and from my research, no real way to gain much HP that's cost effective. So things to address seem to be: weight loss, wind dynamics, and strengthening the cam chain, better valves, mild porting, etc. seems to be the best bang for buck.

I see that those bike have the old style riveted ComStar wheels...did you have any problems with loose rivets?

I see that those bike have the old style riveted ComStar wheels...did you have any problems with loose rivets?
I never did. I know guys love to hate on ComStars but I never had an issue with any of mine. Just lucky I guess.

I remember when they first came out in (I think) the late 1970's - a lot of people felt they were a bad idea.

Of course, I had spokes on my '75 XS650B at the time and switched to cast wheels on the '79 Suzuki GS850G shafty when I got it as a left-over in 1981 - but I'm an engineer and so the ComStars always struck me as a clever lightweight solution to the wheel issue - until rumours of loose rivets started to circulate much later.

Anyhow, glad to hear that you didn't have any issues. I guess Honda engineering really is THAT good.

Pete

I remember when they first came out in (I think) the late 1970's - a lot of people felt they were a bad idea.

Of course, I had spokes on my '75 XS650B at the time and switched to cast wheels on the '79 Suzuki GS850G shafty when I got it as a left-over in 1981 - but I'm an engineer and so the ComStars always struck me as a clever lightweight solution to the wheel issue - until rumours of loose rivets started to circulate much later.

Anyhow, glad to hear that you didn't have any issues. I guess Honda engineering really is THAT good.

Pete

We raced a CB900F for a few years (comstars) 24,000 miles, fell off a lot sometimes spectacularly, never had a single problem with wheels
(or ANYTHING other than crash damage). Saw the bike years later 56K miles on the clock still going strong. We could run through a set of brake pads in a single 4 hour endurance race. Couldn't figure out why my left wrist would get so sore, then did the math, at a small track (blackhawk farms IL) we were shifting 800 times an hour!

Geeezzzz - that a shift about every 5 seconds - for four hours.

Can you say....clutch? You must have had a left hand like Jack the Bear.

That 79 CB650 that Nash posted up looks like a weapon, I've never seen one in real life, I wonder if they ever made it to our fair shores....I'll google it now...

gggGary's rule of hoists;
No matter how many hoists you have, they will all have a project on them, and you will be wrenching on a bike on the floor.

Haha, I did that last night. Last time I messed with the Triumph I got in a hurry and timed the mag at TDC. Although it ran and sounded good when I took it for my New Years rip yesterday the power was shit. Anyway I timed the mag at 38° before TDC in the floor last night.

Got the FJR work done so did my last ride of 2016 30F 50 miles. All is good.changed front rim (dent) R&R front forks, brakes, steering bearings, added FZ1 mirrors, USB port, battery plug in, LED headlights, new HB risers, bakup backrest. and a set of USB powered velcro on grip warmers showed up, they worked great, easy on and off move bike to bike as needed. Sheepskin with inflatable bladder on the seat, nice for cold weather also. Might take warmer weather to appreciate going to 10W fork oil....
note; take a magic marker and make some guide lines on your lifts, helps you put the ramp on quickly.
Next project is steering bearings and upgraded front brakes for the royal star venture then maybe I can get going on some XS650 work. RSV is too big for comfort on the lift. so I modded a jack to hold it securely. Come spring I will have to decide between the RSV and the FJR, each have their points.

Attachments

• 20161231_110725.jpg
    20161231_110725.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 200
  • DSCN6539.JPG
    DSCN6539.JPG
    172.4 KB · Views: 231
  • 20161231_110725.jpg
    20161231_110725.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 202
  • 20161231_141558.jpg
    20161231_141558.jpg