Other Bikes and Workshop Woes

Well I thought I was being really efficient early November getting the XS and the FJ into the vermin proof container before the snow fell, but now still no snow and warm enough even to work on the 83 wiring outside yesterday for an hour and the dirt bikes wheeling past today .........

Maxpete, real freakin cold up in Northern NB today and my brother in law let me try out his new toy! Man what power this thing has! Wow hold on!!! My wife seen the sparkle in my eye lol....she grew up around sleds and has been waiting for me to get another lol
20181226_115132.jpg

Well I thought I was being really efficient early November getting the XS and the FJ into the vermin proof container before the snow fell, but now still no snow and warm enough even to work on the 83 wiring outside yesterday for an hour and the dirt bikes wheeling past today .........

....and then, guess who showed up on a 170 km ride to drop off some master links and have a little visit with Lakeview and Mrs. Lakeview?

Angus continues to amaze me with his garage output!

Pete

Some re-invigorating needed here, I was working yesterday at the bike shop and was asked to take this out for a test ride.....old but one of the best bikes to ride.......750cc Triumph Bonneville 1977 limited edition...great bike to ride and beautiful in the corners, better than todays bikes by far....it’s something to do with the rake of the front forks and the weight distribution....yeah i know.....but what a ride....not one to chop.....

EC236775-70EB-4605-9837-5613D7C5F046.jpeg

Found this when looking at the donor engine upstairs.....well was looking for a better oil filter just to get the bike fired up [this is the XS i am trying to breath life into]. The existing filter{‘s} was toast the fine mesh was gone, reluctant to use it, i was hunting down old XS650 engines that have their sump still attached....found one, removed plate and look whet i found.......now I know what part it is.....but do you ?

6494510D-2124-4623-9334-5D4ADF0A360B.jpeg

0A92B0F0-B023-41AD-9D35-5619BE5110FA.jpeg

Some re-invigorating needed here, I was working yesterday at the bike shop and was asked to take this out for a test ride.....old but one of the best bikes to ride.......750cc Triumph Bonneville 1977 limited edition...great bike to ride and beautiful in the corners, better than todays bikes by far....it’s something to do with the rake of the front forks and the weight distribution....yeah i know.....but what a ride....not one to chop.....

View attachment 186355

Beautiful bike Mick! I had a ‘76 Bonneville that I sure wish I’d have never sold.

View attachment 186355
Wait! You are getting PAID to do this?
:bow:@Michaelo :bow2:

I cleaned up the garage, still not clean, but there is more floor space now. 1 XS moved to the shed, the dirtbikes are easier to get in and out, the main XS is in the spot to be worked on next, and I pulled the timing cover off the t120 motor and verified its not locked and spins smoother than I expected for a $75 craigslist motor.
20210307_115554.jpg
20210306_154240_HDR.jpg

I've got a bit of a collection going: The Silver Honda Shadow 750 is my daily rider, and most reliable machine to date. Most of my work on her has been visual (brown leathers, white-walls, bubinga key and chock knob, relocated the horn to act as carb cover, added rear fender rack). I did take off the previous owners performance intake and exhaust and reverted back to stock. Fortunately he had all the stock parts still. He also had an aftermarket belt drive on the bike that shredded a belt one day as I was riding back from work. Went back to a stock chain set-up. Swapped in progressive shocks front and back for a better ride and lower stance.
IMG_3227.JPG

The white Suzuki GS 1100GL is my newest acquisition: a good friend of mine was thinning the herd and traded me for some labor building a shed for him. I've had to do some minor repair work to the wiring (wires off the stator were corroded) and a few aesthetic touches. The bags pictured did not come with the bike, so I've had to come up with alternate bags to cover up the electronics package. Seat was all torn up, so I've stripped it down, sandblasted it, and it's ready for some minor welding, paint, and a nice new brown cover from Sargent Cycles. After that, I need to clean and re-jet the carbs. My buddy never re-jetted after adding the V&H pipes, and I'm hoping that going up a few sizes will improve performance. Right now it's too cold in my garage to do the fiddly carb work, so I'm putting that off until it warms up a bit.
IMG_1505.JPG

The real project is the XS. Slightly modified from stock.;) Slow going, but hopefully (with all your help!) ready in a year or two.
IMG_3564.JPG

Great investment for $75.00 Ratranger, is there anything inside those cases ha! ......

I cleaned up the garage, still not clean, but there is more floor space now. 1 XS moved to the shed, the dirtbikes are easier to get in and out, the main XS is in the spot to be worked on next, and I pulled the timing cover off the t120 motor and verified its not locked and spins smoother than I expected for a $75 craigslist motor.
View attachment 186450 View attachment 186451

Lol, it's a full motor. I pulled the top end, and the cylinders are a bit rough, but under the pistons is clean.

And it looks like I'll be able to get a cr80 6 speed in the xr100 engine. Had to clearance a small spot on the cases, the crank will need about .050" turned off, and the countershaft will need to be shortened. But it's a fun experiment.
20210310_152605_HDR.jpg
20210310_152530_HDR.jpg

Yep, you nailed, pretty sure its a 256-17141-00

Didn’t go any further in, one might find out more with an investigative delve
I drained one of those out with my oil many years ago. I only just got around to replacing the transmission. It ran fine while broken.

My dad's '56 Tiger is waiting for me. There's the '81 XS snuggling with a '72 Kawasaki F11. The '79 XS is in the work area right now. Somewhere way in the back is a '68 Triumph Daytona frame with its associated bits scattered on shelves.

I dont know anything about working on motorcycles. I just got into it a year ago.

My question is:

What have I done?

Attachments

• 20210310_185633.jpg
    20210310_185633.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 101
  • 20210310_185647.jpg
    20210310_185647.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 103
My dad's '56 Tiger is waiting for me. There's the '81 XS snuggling with a '72 Kawasaki F11. The '79 XS is in the work area right now. Somewhere way in the back is a '68 Triumph Daytona frame with its associated bits scattered on shelves.

I dont know anything about working on motorcycles. I just got into it a year ago.

My question is:

What have I done?
Started ! ( the addiction)
Keep us posted

My question is:

What have I done?

Just jump in like you know what you’re doing, read everything you can, and ask questions as you go. We all started out not knowin nuthin, you’ll learn as you go. Good luck! You’ve got some great bikes to work with! :thumbsup:

Don't feel bad, I have 2 1/2 XS650s, 1 ktm 250sxf, 1 XL75, 1 CB400f, 1 tiger 800xc, and a cr80 with xr100 motor, plus the t120r motor and an extra xr100 motor.
Currently only the CR, KTM, and tiger 800 run. 1 xs needs me to finish putting it together, 1xs needs finishing and wiring, the cb400f is in 2 boxes, the XL needs a motor built for it, and I need a frame for the triumph so I can build it.

Back