Out of state purchase advice.

73Ghia

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Considering buying a bike out of state, which I have done twice before with no issues. In both instances, I used PayPal, and had the owner ship the title via FedEx. Then sent a shipping company to pick up the bike. This seller doesn’t have a PayPal account, and doesn’t want to use one. Has anybody here used any other type of payment transaction to purchase out of state? I like PayPal, because they offer protection if there are any issues. The seller has been very upfront, and seems very trustworthy. It’s still just a little unnerving sending money for a bike, then just hoping nothing goes wrong. I found a thread that mentioned escrow.com, but have no experience with that. Any suggestions would be great.

Considering buying a bike out of state, which I have done twice before with no issues. In both instances, I used PayPal, and had the owner ship the title via FedEx. Then sent a shipping company to pick up the bike. This seller doesn’t have a PayPal account, and doesn’t want to use one. Has anybody here used any other type of payment transaction to purchase out of state? I like PayPal, because they offer protection if there are any issues. The seller has been very upfront, and seems very trustworthy. It’s still just a little unnerving sending money for a bike, then just hoping nothing goes wrong. I found a thread that mentioned escrow.com, but have no experience with that. Any suggestions would be great.

Hi Ghia and welcome,
buying for cash, sight unseen? Might be OK or might be a scam.
Compare the shipping cost and the risk of getting an unregisterable pile of rust with the cost and effort of going there in person to check out the bike's condition.
That, or like halfmile posts, bail out on the deal.

There are other candidates out there with lower risks than this one. Stay with paypal deals.

I have done it and used PAYPAL but what i do is ask for pictures of the VIN and Title and a picture of his drivers licence. . Then i tell the seller to overnight me the title and i will send $500 right away. If title comes to me next day i will deposit the rest of money in PAYPAL and send instructions on pickup. If they go threw all that i know i am dealing with someone good. Had no problem so far and the ones that are trying to beat you bail then.

Long experience tends to give us a 6th sense about the seller. But yeah it better be pretty special to be worth the risk. This group can be a tremendous asset, it's so big there's often someone on here that's close enough to take a peek for yah.... That's worked for me several times, (thanks guys ! ! !) Do tell how this goes? I've done several long distance buys, and know of others that have worked out. One was truly epic. Hint it better be play money, not next months rent you're risking. Living in the rust belt fly n drive home is my normal modus operandi.

I’ve bought three bikes from out of state, but only from well known dealers. Those guys are professional, have good communication, and have very good procedures in place to handle the transactions. You can make the buy with peace of mind.
I , personally , would be hesitant to deal with out of state strangers.

Back