Ozarks Rally Spring 2021

I've got to mention this. I still laugh thinking about it. First morning out. We stopped for gas. While Gary was inside the station a guy walked by and looked the bikes over. Then said to me "You guys killed the retro look". I started laughing and had to explain that these are the real deal. He was sure they were newer bikes made to look old.
Everywhere we stopped people would come up and want to talk about the bikes. A lot of people said they had a 650 or new people that did. One of the bonuses of riding history.
Some random pics of the ride and the Ozarks.
Waiting out a storm.
View attachment 191045
Getting ready to battle the elements.
View attachment 191046
Exorcising demons.
View attachment 191047
View from the top of somewhere. Very scenic area we were riding in.
View attachment 191048
Butt break.
View attachment 191052
Good looking Specials with nice fairings. Not too bad a looking XS2.
View attachment 191054
View attachment 191053
Just got there.
View attachment 191055
Gary polishing her up for the second day.
View attachment 191057
View attachment 191058
Just a butt break along the way.
View attachment 191059
Ready to go. Bike was nice and clean then. Now it's a filthy pig. Going to take a week to get it clean.
View attachment 191061
Great pics

No photos of me fixing that PoS??
No evidence of the brilliant roadside work?
Which time?
I seem to recall seeing the inside of them carbs as the brilliant mech wrenched away, at least 4 times on that trip. :rolleyes:
upload_2021-5-14_16-20-17.jpeg

But that bike looks so clean and pretty, John! What could possibly have gone wrong after all that detailing? And all those characters sitting around grinning while you toil away--what a great bunch of guys! Sorry I had to miss this year's rally and the chance to mock and revile you over that nasty asphalt grinder exhaust. Hoping to be in shape for the Smokies in September.

I've got to mention this. I still laugh thinking about it. First morning out. We stopped for gas. While Gary was inside the station a guy walked by and looked the bikes over. Then said to me "You guys killed the retro look". I started laughing and had to explain that these are the real deal. He was sure they were newer bikes made to look old.
Everywhere we stopped people would come up and want to talk about the bikes. A lot of people said they had a 650 or new people that did. One of the bonuses of riding history.
Some random pics of the ride and the Ozarks.
Waiting out a storm.
View attachment 191045
Getting ready to battle the elements.
View attachment 191046
Exorcising demons.
View attachment 191047
View from the top of somewhere. Very scenic area we were riding in.
View attachment 191048
Butt break.
View attachment 191052
Good looking Specials with nice fairings. Not too bad a looking XS2.
View attachment 191054
View attachment 191053
Just got there.
View attachment 191055
Gary polishing her up for the second day.
View attachment 191057
View attachment 191058
Just a butt break along the way.
View attachment 191059
Ready to go. Bike was nice and clean then. Now it's a filthy pig. Going to take a week to get it clean.
View attachment 191061
Great photos, GLJ. It was a pleasure meeting and visiting with you at the rally...and chasing the "fast guys" around the crooked roads in the Ozarks. Glad to hear you and Gary made it home OK - very stormy weather you guys had to ride through. Hope to see you again next year!

very stormy weather you guys had to ride through.
Cold too. After waiting out a storm and having breakfast we went across the road to a Dollar General. I bought more gloves and trash bags. We put on our driest pair of socks with trash bags over them. Then wet boots went on. Pure heaven.

Pure heaven.
Have to give credit where credit is do. Was Gary's idea.
When we stopped the first day coming back it was my doing. I know Gary wanted to go farther because he had farther to get home. I stopped because I was chilled to the bone. I could have warmed up but I knew it would take me 3 hours to go another 100 frowns. I would have had to stop every 40 frowns to get warm. Plus there was a Petro across the road from the motel that had decent food. We ate there on the way down. Someone needs to ask Gary how he made the waitress blush. :rolleyes:

The bike you brought is not a POS. For a Special it looked kinda OK.
It was just ill prepared and under serviced.;)
When it ran I couldn't keep up with it! :):rock:
Ill prepared and underserviced. Ouch.
I deserve that
John
My post has been bothering me. It sounds a lot harsher than it was meant too.
I should have added that you had just got (stole, you got a good deal) the bike and fixed what had to be fixed in the time you had.
When it finally laid down and died you were able to find the problem. I'm sure it helped when you got the Peanut Gallery moving down the road.
You're a much better than average rider, mechanic and route planner.
GLJ

John
I should have added that you had just got (stole, you got a good deal) the bike and fixed what had to be fixed in the time you had.
When it finally laid down and died you were able to find the problem. I'm sure it helped when you got the Peanut Gallery moving down the road.
GLJ
and he's watching his daughter get married today.
(Why Ozarks was last weekend.)

Don't worry, Greg, John gives as good as he gets. He'll retaliate in style, so brace yourself; we're both in for some merciless ribbing as soon as he see an opening. (BTW I only razzed him about that 2-1 because I knew full well that he didn't and wouldn't hang it on that bike!)

Don't worry, Greg, John gives as good as he gets. He'll retaliate in style, so brace yourself; we're both in for some merciless ribbing as soon as he see an opening. (BTW I only razzed him about that 2-1 because I knew full well that he didn't and wouldn't hang it on that bike!)
Having met John I realize he loves to get and give. I just didn't want other people here to get the wrong idea or jist of what I said.

John
GLJ
No worries! I don’t get butthurt easily

Back