Paint price.

toglhot

First class butcher.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Here's some painting I did a while ago, done in jet black acrylic lacquer. I never bothered compounding or polishing it because I thought I'd probably scratch and chip it and have to paint it again.
I was right, it got terribly scratched and chipped, so I stripped the bike, stripped the paint, applied body filler to the dented bits then went to the paint shop to buy some 2k primer, top coat, hardeners and thinners - $450 for two litres of each, and I doubt two litres would be enough, Stuff that, I'll use acrylic lacquer again and be very careful not to spill any petrol on the tank again. The same amount of acrylic lacquer, primer and thinners, around $100.
Bloody ridiculous.

Attachments

• footpegs.jpg
    footpegs.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 106
  • frame.jpg
    frame.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 100
  • seat swingarm misc.jpg
    seat swingarm misc.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 108
  • tank guard headlight.jpg
    tank guard headlight.jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 106
  • tank side.jpg
    tank side.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 105
  • tank top.jpg
    tank top.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 98
I’ll jump on that bandwagon. My bobber tank is clear coated with Spray-Max 2K and still going strong after 8 years. I also have a can waiting on some warmer weather so I can wet sand and spray over the factory paint on my ‘75.

If you want it done properly???
Lost count of the number of times I've hadbto fix jobs done by professionals.

Sadly I dont have the space, kit or experience to spray to a high standard, I'm using a bloke who comes highly recommended and won awards for his work. His work is top notch as I don't doubt yours will be .

Well don't buy any 6061 plate without access to a defibrillator either. A piece 300 x 300 x 15.8 was $137.80+tax , courier, + packaging.
I will start looking at buying offcuts when they become available.

I've been wrestling with a paint problem lately: I damage the seat so had to repaint it along with a couple of other small bits. The small bits, gear lever, brake lever and other like bits came out fine, but the seat had little dots all over it, look like oil contaminiation.

At first I thought it may have been a contamination problem with the paint as I have a bad habit of leaving the lids off. I then sprayed some lacquer through the gun - no problems. As I was almost out of the black, I bought a new can, took the seat back to bare metal and repainted, same result.

Next I went through the entire compressor system, emptied the tank, cleaned the filters, flushed out the hoses and dried them out, stripped the condenser right down, cleaned that out and stuck it back together, then repainted - same bloody result.

I'm now running out of ideas. I'll replace the hose and clean the guns, both are nekw so they may have some oil or grease inside them, but one would think if there was any, it would have cleared by now, plus it does the same through an old gun I have.

I have a few nozzles ranging from .8 through to 2. But they all do the same, only difference is, the finer nozzles give smaller spots. Aaarrrggghhh!

Attachments

• WIN_20230211_12_40_52_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20230211_12_40_52_Pro.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 51
To paint my tank I used Dupli-Color cans, and topped it off with Spray Max 2k clear can, which is fuel proof also very physically tough
This is my plan, with some etching primer underneath.
My buddy had 2 side panels and tank stripped and painted one color and it was $800 from a friend who does that. That included materials and stripping the tank/panels labor.

Any idea how many cans of duplicolor you used for tank and side panels?

IMG_6643.jpegIMG_2559.jpegI’ve done a few rattlecan jobs. Usually a can of primer, a can of paint and a can of Spraymax 2K. That should be plenty for the tank, side panels, fork ears and bucket if need be.

Last edited:
Back