paint

wheelsrus

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
just curious where to look for stock yamaha color or paint codes(or close) my 75 is starlight black, but i have other yamahas so would be looking for those colors also

thank you i am late to the party on finding post,info about my '75 i have had it for 30+ years quit riding it 3 yrs ago now getting it going again, i have many tech, info threads to catch up on.

I was extraordinarily fortunate in getting the colour for my green '78E "Betty" which is a '78-only colour and not commonly seen. A forum member had an NOS sidecover which he loaned me (he shipped it from NC to me in Ontario - incredibly kind) and I took it to an autobody supply place where they have a special camera. That camera was able to make a listing of the automotive colours that were the best match, including the proper mixing formula - and then the place blended a quart of paint and a spray can for me - and the match is excellent.

Oddly, it turned out that the best match is a dark green shade from a 1970s German Opel vehicle (Opel was, until recently, the German division of General Motors).

The paint and decals were skillfully applied by forum member @Jim in Kansas City - the best painter I know.

Betty-2.jpg

So, the moral of the story is that if you have a part with decent paint or even a patch of decent paint, an autobody supply place (NOTE: not likely a body shop - you need a place that supplies body shops) may be able to do a match for you.

Also - the decals are easily available from Diablo Cycle (www.diablocycle.com) in London, ON and most sets cost around $100-135 CAD (which is about $4.78 USD at the present rate of exchange ;)). In fact, they list the complete decal set of a 1975 XS650B - and here is the linky:

https://www.diablocycle.com/Complete-Decal-Sets-c-375/#:~:text=XS650B%201975%20North,Add

....sorry, one more point: Marble Motors may be OK supplying just paint, but they made a complete f/u of a forum member's bike....

@Mailman - perhaps you could comment?

Pete

Oooh! Sorry to bring-up a sore subject! – I’ve had poor experience with tank liner (and seen) failures with most brands. It’s a very problematic, albeit sometimes necessary, solution.

I just bought paint from the guy. The PPG is good stuff and he seems to be able to mix the colors correctly.

I’m also able to buy PPG from the local supplier and they can scan the paint on an existing part and match (as MaxPete describes). PPG does, however, have a policy of their dealers not selling to “non-professional individuals”. Some dealers adhere to that policy, some don’t – “your mileage may vary”.

Oooh! Sorry to bring-up a sore subject! –

Oops too slow for a comment , Skull beat me too it! 😄 Not a sore subject for me anymore, I’ve moved on. And for what it’s worth, the guy sells a lot of paint, and the paintwork he did for me was pretty good. The liner was the problem. Carry on. 🙂

@MaxPete , Your girl Betty looks beautiful! Was that photo taken at your new home?

Was that photo taken at your new home?

Yup - that is in front of the house and thanks Bob - she truly is a beautiful piece of machinery. @Jims work with the paint and decals is flawless and really sets her off.

NOTE: the wet stain on the driveway is NOT fuel leaking from Betty. That problem is all fixed (I installed non-vacuum petcocks) and she's back to running like a little piece of 1978 again!

I've got just one or two little things to do and she'll be as perfect as I can make her. Then I'll get back to Lucille ( :yikes: )....and then on to Demi.

Pete

Back