Painting recessed lettering on side covers

... Practice on one of the A's, have some mineral spirits, brush and cloths ready to wash off the paint. Really don't see any possible control in that syringe/dropper method...

Excellent points, Scott. Yeah, trying to squeeze the bulb and maintain control is probably a too busy task for a couple of fingers. Going to rethink this. What I'd like is something I can hold more naturally, with better control, like a tattoo pen, without the needle.
TattooPen.jpg

Steal your grand daughter's black nail polish, there's even a convenient applicator in the lid.

Yeah, probably acrylic enamel, good thickness and coverage. One letter at a time, wipe and clean the edges with cloth, Q tips and solvent.

In my aimless stumbling around town, I chanced upon an arts and crafts shop, with some ladies shopping in the artists/paint section. What a great way to terrorize meet women, and get an alternative perspective (as compared to the usual farm/ranch slants).

Before they could escape, I managed to block their exit,and started a lively conversation about this project. Once they calmed down and put away the mace, they started discussing the fine/pointed brush techniques, as you fellows have suggested. Then, one mentioned using tiny bulb suckers, as used in babies ears and noses. Another suggested black fingernail polish (easily found near the Halloween season).

I struck out on the baby bulb suckers, then explored fingernail polish. Most of the blacks were lacquer, found only one in enamel. Its ingredients included some varieties of plant-derived organics, with the label "Lasts up to 12 days!". You would've enjoyed the looks I got when asking about heat tolerance up to 300°F. Passed on that.

... Shim under the Engine cover untill the bottom of the letter is level and secure it. Then you can just eyedropper the paint in into the base of the cavity. Don't bump it until it's dry. Never tried. Just makes sense to me.

...Once it's level the paint should spread itself to cover with gravity. Might take a little vibration to spread. Just hold the butt end of your cordless drill against the case to vibrate...

Hey, Jame5on. Yes, that's what I'd really prefer to do. Let the paint self-level, without the tedious and intricate manipulation of the paint edges (using its surface tension, adhesion, crawling, whatever) as shown in the first video.

Long, long ago, I built and meticulously painted many, many models. I always had troubles with crisp/straight paint edges. Not in my skillset. Same with house painting, trim edges looked like "drunk painter". Plenty of practice time in those projects. Unconquerable. Not worried about it. Can't play the piano, either.

Hence, this pursuit of the "flooded" technique...

Black nail polish........Used to live with an ex-stripper. This girl traveled and lived out of paper bags. She could look through Easy Rider magazines and know at least two of the people in them. Well, my visiting mother was flying in, we met her at the airport. This girlfriend met my mother for the first time while wearing black lipstick and black fingernail polish, this was decades before fads like this ever happened. Mother was not impressed. Just had to share one of the best days of my life !!!!!!!!

My mother person, picture Mary Tyler Moore in Ordinary People.

Scott

Last edited:
Well, I've cobbled together an eyedropper tool using a 0.048" (16ga) hypo needle, cut down to 1/2". Got some paints to experiment and practice. And a crummy old stator cover with recessed lettering.

LetteringTest01.jpg

LetteringTest02.jpg

The small bottle of touchup also has hypo-type applicator, 0.080" (12ga).

TouchupPaint.jpg

The touchup paint has a good, controllable consistency. But, cleaning up with mineral spirits, the stuff would instantly coagulate. Turns out, it's actually lacquer, and has a satin/flat finish.

The bottle of "Folk Art" craft paint (dishwasher safe, suitable for ceramics) has the consistency of thick pudding, plaster of Paris. Would need a trowel for that.

The spray can of 500°F engine paint is enamel, and cleans up well with mineral spirits. I just spray it into a tray, then pour into a small container. It has a nice gloss finish, but is quite thin, requiring care in applying.

The two letters on the left were done with the touchup paint, left one with the supplied applicator tip, next one with the gadget. The finish is dull.

The two right letters were done with the spray engine paint. It's glossy. There's goof-ups on those two letters, because of its thinness and my skill.
LetteringTest03.jpg

So, I elected to go with the spray engine enamel. Just let it air-dry in the bottle for about 1 minute, to get the thicker consistancy. Using a technique similar to the first video in post #1, I dragged the hypo needle along the letter edges, letting the paint's surface tension pull its meniscus up to the upper edge of the letter border, while tracing the letter borders. It left nice, straight paint edges. After bordering the letter, I'd let the paint fill the centers.

This is after the second coat. I may do more, depends on how it looks later.
LetteringPainting02.jpg

Back