Painting started.

toglhot

First class butcher.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I've stripped all the metalwork of old paint, bogged the dents in the tank and sanded it nice and straight, plus undercoated everything. Late this afternoon I hit the smaller items with top coat, tomorrow I'll flip the parts over, spray the other side and start the spraying the tin wear.

Frame will be getting blasted again, not keen on sanding that, given the amount of tabs and things the Yamaha butcher shop has tacked all over the frame, geezus wept the thing is rough.

No Iwata, Devilbiss or Star gear in my shop, just a $39 suction gun and a bargain basement priced HVLP touch up guns, the touch up gun being used to spray the undercoat and the top coat on the small parts. I do have a bigger HVLP gun but the nozzles are 2 and 1.7 so far too big for this job. The bigger suction gun has a a 1.2 nozzle and did a good job last time, so I may use that for the tank, guards and seat, but I'll try the touch up gun first as it has a finer nozzle.

The only problem with the bargain basement guns is parts - no such thing. So when the seals and what not fall apart I have to dig into my O ring and fibre washer collection. So far I haven't come across any problems I can't fix though, I did replace a couple of O rings on the touch up gun before starting. Both the HVLP guns are closing in on 10 years old now, not too bad for a $59 purchase price.

I'm keeping the acrylic lacquer thickness as thin as I can because I intend clear coating the tank and guards, and possibly the frame with iso free 2k. Yeah, yeah, not ideal I know, but shouldn't hit any problems as long as I keep the acrylic lacquer reasonably thin. I did have to layer on some spray putty on the tank though as it wasn't real straight, we'll see how that pans out.

The pic of the tank, done in acrylic lacquer last time was how it came off the gun, never compounded or polished. If you look closely, there's a little pin hole just to the right of the cap hole as the tank curves down over, never noticed before hitting it with top coat. I later filled it and touched it up.

There were two small dings on the left hand side, one on top, two in front of the pin hole and two largish dings just below and behind the curve I had to fill and smooth over last time. Unfortunately, the larger dings resulted in the area around being distorted a little, but I think I managed to cover it up reasonably well. Hopefully I did as well this time around.

Attachments

• WIN_20220608_15_46_17_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220608_15_46_17_Pro.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 146
  • WIN_20220608_15_46_35_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220608_15_46_35_Pro.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 142
  • WIN_20220608_16_20_11_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220608_16_20_11_Pro.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 146
  • tank top.jpg
    tank top.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 143
  • tank side.jpg
    tank side.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Lacquer, think easy to apply, quick to dry, super easy to touch up. Enamel, think - rubbish! They don't call it 'jam' for nothing!

Lacquer, think easy to apply, quick to dry, super easy to touch up. Enamel, think - rubbish! They don't call it 'jam' for nothing!
I'm a urethane guy myself, but hey...different strokes. I'm sure alphabet man will chime in with his uneducated opinion. Looks good to me!

I like urethane as well, super tough, used it 40 odd years ago on a bike because I got it free. The price of urethane is ridiculous though, four times that of lacquer or enamel. Won't be spraying it on my bike at that price.

Attachments

• yam2.jpg
    yam2.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 107
  • yam1.jpg
    yam1.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 103
I like urethane as well, super tough, used it 40 odd years ago on a bike because I got it free. The price of urethane is ridiculous though, four times that of lacquer or enamel. Won't be spraying it on my bike at that price.
I'm "in the business" so I'm well aware of the insanity of the pricing. I'm doing a frame for a member (I'm in N. Florida) and we're using acrylic enamel with a hardener, over epoxy primer. It's fairly inexpensive here in the states, easy to use, and fairly durable. You are correct, IMHO, about lacquer being user friendly and ease of touch up. Good luck my friend.

What color is the tank? You sprayed that finish on? It looks like chrome?

What color is the tank? You sprayed that finish on? It looks like chrome?
Jet black. I painted the tank, guards, seatpan and some ancillery bits yesterday, all came up really well, no need for compounding or polishing again. The seatpan had a weird stain/mark come up on the cowl, no idea what from, I'll sand and respray again today. But firstbI have to pop down to Bunning for a new respirator. Dam thing seems to be sucking fumes in. When I took it off yesterday I had black on my nose and black running down from the corners of my mouth.

Finished off the tin work this afternoon. Not as clear or as good as Last time, but acceptable I guess. I'll wait a few days then sand the tank and apply some 2k clear. Not technically the thing to do, but, plenty do it, so I'll see how it comes out.

Attachments

• WIN_20220611_15_41_31_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220611_15_41_31_Pro.jpg
    341.1 KB · Views: 98
  • WIN_20220611_15_42_23_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220611_15_42_23_Pro.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 99
  • WIN_20220611_15_42_30_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220611_15_42_30_Pro.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 101
I'm sure most of you think I'm some old halfwit dude from the U.S.A. like yourselves, but in fact I'm a beautiful young woman from New Zealand.

Back