What color should these tins be?

• Candy green and white a la XS1

Votes: 15 30.0%
  • Candy gold and white a la XS1

Votes: 19 38.0%
  • Candy red and white a la XS2

Votes: 16 32.0%

• Total voters
Vinegar is weak so takes some time to work. Citric acid is cheap and comes as a powder so you can mix it up much stronger; With electrolysis I found the red rust converts to a much softer black version. These black residues are easily dissolved off with citric acid. But remember acids will slowly attack steel so I would not leave a strong solution of citric acid (any strong acid solution) in a tank for more than an hour or two.

I saw molasses mentioned on YouTube but do not know how good it is. Maybe someone on a farm with horses may have tried it??

Youtube's Project Farm did a review of various forms of rust removal methods...Evaporust, Electrolysis, molasses, etc. Worth looking up if you're interested.

AGREED - I recommend Project Farm on YouTube very highly.

He has a great library of evaluations on everything from cordless powertools, to shopvacs, engine oil, headlight lens restoring methods, etc. to rust removal methods and all kinds of stuff in between. His test methods are well-explained and make sense, they are fair and he controls the variables quite effectively. He evaluates all the major brands (including the big high end marques (like Bosch, DeWalt etc.) and the discount brands like those sold at Harbour Fright / Princess Auto and Pep Boys.

I don't know how he pays for it all - but it is really a great resource.

Vinegar is weak so takes some time to work. Citric acid is cheap and comes as a powder so you can mix it up much stronger; With electrolysis I found the red rust converts to a much softer black version. These black residues are easily dissolved off with citric acid. But remember acids will slowly attack steel so I would not leave a strong solution of citric acid (any strong acid solution) in a tank for more than an hour or two.

I saw molasses mentioned on YouTube but do not know how good it is. Maybe someone on a farm with horses may have tried it??

I buy woolworths white Vinegar........use it straight, no dilution and it works fast. A day or 2 but be careful with bolts and nuts it will eat the tips of the threads real fast.

Molasses i have tried...........made up a fairly weak strength mixed with hot water for a start........it was winter over here. 17 to 24 c, (dam i hate the cold), and it took a bout 3 weeks. Put old rusted tools, screwdrivers, open ender's, shifters, hammers and had 2 sets of gears that i got in a bunch of stuff, They were seized and one end of one shaft was rusted to the point the threads were rusted off.

After the 3 weeks the molasses mixture stank to high heaven and was bubbling away, ( a stronger brew and in warmer weather would make the fermentation work faster)........used gloves as well .............the rust on the steel loos black and a spray with WD40 cleans things up nicely.............no flash rust from molasis..........and the gears with a bit of persuasion and WD40 worked as they should, slid on the shaft and those that swiveled did again

I don't know how he pays for it all - but it is really a great resource.

With 1.5 Million subscribers to his channel...every video he puts out likely pays him very significant $. There's an algorithm that Youtube uses for payment/assessment which as I understand it include the length of the video, the amount of time someone watches it, it's relevance to advertisers, audience demographics, # of views, etc.--it all contributes. I don't know all of the details, but based on what other youtubers claim to make from their vids, he is likely making a minimum of $2500 per video and a minimum of $15,000 per month on the sum of videos people watch during any given month. Not kidding at all. To be honest, I actually think this is a very LOW estimate. Also, I'm assuming he's "monetized" his videos...in order to get paid.

Serious $ can be made from youtube...if you're willing to put the time/effort into it, like any other job.

With 1.5 Million subscribers to his channel...every video he puts out likely pays him very significant $. There's an algorithm that Youtube uses for payment/assessment which as I understand it include the length of the video, the amount of time someone watches it, it's relevance to advertisers, audience demographics, # of views, etc.--it all contributes. I don't know all of the details, but based on what other youtubers claim to make from their vids, he is likely making a minimum of $2500 per video and a minimum of $15,000 per month on the sum of videos people watch during any given month. Not kidding at all. To be honest, I actually think this is a very LOW estimate. Also, I'm assuming he's "monetized" his videos...in order to get paid.

Serious $ can be made from youtube...if you're willing to put the time/effort into it, like any other job.

Well, he deserves every penny IMO.

P

I've got 2 XS1 headlight ears to paint. I ran a piece of safety wire through 'em to hang 'em up. I primed 'em that way, but it's not ideal. It's hard to shoot under 'em and they're constantly rocking back and forth every time you pull the trigger on the gun. I got 'em primed, but shootin' candy on 'em requires a little more finesse than constantly rocking to and fro.....
Scrounged around and found some 7/8" wood dowel, some brass tacks and a small plastic Folgers can....

PXL_20210203_003651506.jpg

Cut the top and bottom off and split the sides into two pieces. Tack each one to the dowel and cut a notch in the dowel so it doesn't touch the side of the ear.

PXL_20210203_003738687.jpg

Just fold the plastic in on itself and slide the ear on.....

PXL_20210203_003859815.jpg

Chrome ear is just for proof of concept. Need to scrounge a block of wood to drill 2 holes in it as a holder... but yeah, should work a treat. I can lift it out of it's holder and firmly position it at any angle for painting. Much better than chasing a rocking ear with candy and just hoping it goes on evenly.
thumbsup.gif

Back