1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Painting Tins. No really...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jim, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Candy green and white a la XS1

10 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Candy gold and white a la XS1

13 vote(s)
    37.1%
  3. Candy red and white a la XS2

12 vote(s)
    34.3%
  1. 650Skull

650Skull SSSSSSSSSlither Top Contributor

MaxPete and Jim like this.
  2. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

MaxPete likes this.
  3. GLJ

GLJ Never go faster than your guardian angle can fly. Top Contributor

I had my tank Cerakoted very similar. Cost was $50.

4. 650Skull

650Skull SSSSSSSSSlither Top Contributor

The money some people spend on their cars paint job or just for the car alone an extra $ 2-3,000 for a 7 year guarantee scratches will heal them selves.......????.

On another forum there is a guy who has just done it to his new bike.......

5. MaxPete

MaxPete Lucille, Betty, Demi & Gretel: I ask, THEY decide. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Mailman and Jim like this.
  6. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Tip Time
    This early XS tank had a crease on the left side. It wasn't very deep but it ran lengthwise about 4". To make sure I had the same curve as the other side I cut out a piece of cardboard that followed the good side's contour. Put some alignment marks on both sides of it and rotate to check the other side. Fill and sand accordingly. A sharp eye will note it still needs a tad more taken off... back to sandin'....

Wllls tank1.jpg

Wills tank2.jpg

Mike G, TwoManyXS1Bs, GLJ and 5 others like this.
  7. Jim

Note to self...
    Nothing to see here folks... move along.

Untitled.png

8. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

gggGary and Jim like this.
  9. timbeck

timbeck XS650 Guru XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Jim, you need to get yourself a new band-aid son.....

tim

10. Jim

Whole Lotta Shakin' goin' On.....

My blast cabinet was over 20yrs old. Finally sprung for a new one. Harbor Freight special.... with lotsa' mods of course...:sneaky:

Blast cabinet1.jpg

Compared to the old one, this sucker is huge. Even big enough for an XS2 tank a buddy sent me... :rolleyes:

Blast cabinet11.jpg

I need to start shippin' some stuff out. I'm runnin' outta room. XS1B stuff. I loves me some gold candy....:heart:

ears.jpg

.... and some XS1 sidecovers, blasted to bare metal and 2 thick coats of epoxy primer.

XS1 sidecovers1.jpg

XS1 sidecovers2.jpg

11. Jim

Oh.... and unrelated, one of the Honda 4 guys from Canada sent me a rotor to rewind. He sent along this sticker. Any of our northern friends ever seen this?

zzs.jpg

12. 59Tebo

59Tebo 59Tebo Top Contributor

Yer tellin' me! I have the same cabinet (unmodified). Plenty big enough for anything you want to do (indoors). Mine currently resides in a friend's hot rod shop....

13. Mailman

Ooooh! Beautiful gold candy! And my tank got to break in the new cabinet! I’m honored. You keep buying equipment, You’re gonna need a bigger shop!
    A0B9946C-5B7E-4587-A278-2BDF50B9553C.jpeg

14. RustiePyles

RustiePyles Semper Fortis XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Them's purtty @Jim.... Nice work! I think I'm gonna be bringing ya some Honda CJ360 tins after we get her a season of riding.

MaxPete, YamadudeXS650C, Jim and 3 others like this.
  15. Jim

So, ran into the same problem with the XS1 sidecovers that I did with the ears.... being hung up with safety wire is fine for priming, but all that rocking to and fro ain't gonna hack it for for candy. Sure, I could lay 'em flat and just paint the outside like Marble Motors did with Mailman's covers, but that kind of, in my opinion, half assed work is beyond my OCD. No offense intended to you half assed guys out there. :sneaky:

Time for more fixtures..... holders... whatever. Rummaged through the junk buckets and came up with some appropriate bits.... 3/4 X .035" 4130 tubing, 1/4" mild steel rod and 1/2 X 1/8" strap. A little cuttin' bendin' and tiggin' and here we are....

1000.jpg

1001.jpg

1002.jpg

1003.jpg

Debated on building a stand to hold 'em. Finally decided screw it and drilled holes in the table to hold 'em.... close enough.:rolleyes:

1004.jpg

16. gggGary

gggGary When a whole one is just too much. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

None taken.

Sweet work.

17. YamadudeXS650C

YamadudeXS650C Central New York XS650 XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

18. Mailman

That’s a slick solution there Jim. :thumbsup:

19. Jim

Thanks Bob. Once these sidecovers are golden, your tank should be ready for prime.

20. Mailman

Nice! My tail is waggin! :laugh2:

MaxPete, jetmechmarty, GLJ and 5 others like this.