• Candy green and white a la XS1

Votes: 15 30.0%
  • Candy gold and white a la XS1

Votes: 19 38.0%
  • Candy red and white a la XS2

Votes: 16 32.0%

• Total voters
Bill Murray Yes GIF

OK... so, this is a fairly common problem with the early tanks. One of the ears that hold the pivot pin on the cap latch is broke off. We know that
J B Weld works for this application (more in a bit).
The big problem with epoxying aluminum is that the aluminum starts to oxidize almost immediately after you clean it up... and that oxide gives us a very poor bond. This tank and ear has been bead blasted and all the prep work done... ready to reassemble.

1667957534919.png

So, with an appropriate pin at the ready and the epoxy mixed and ready, use a stainless steel brush and scrub the bonding area.... make it shine. Now there's practically no oxides to contaminate the bond. Stick it together. Don't dally around... stick it as soon as possible.

1667957722649.png

The puddle just aft of the ears is where I used some of the J B Weld to fill in the rust pitting.... just an added protection to keep it sealed from gas intrusion. after it's cured, I'll add some more J B Weld and create a fillet around the ear for added strength.

Think the bond ain't strong enough for the gas cap? Think again. Or ask Bob. This is the exact procedure he used on his tank. When I got it for painting, there was a discussion on whether or not it was strong enough. Here's my test that shows how strong it is. 'Nuff said.

1667958385676.png

1667958406890.png

That was done about 2 yrs ago. @WideAWAKE owns Bob's XS2 now and far as I know... it's still holding.

OK... so, this is a fairly common problem with the early tanks. One of the ears that hold the pivot pin on the cap latch is broke off. We know that
J B Weld works for this application (more in a bit).
The big problem with epoxying aluminum is that the aluminum starts to oxidize almost immediately after you clean it up... and that oxide gives us a very poor bond. This tank and ear has been bead blasted and all the prep work done... ready to reassemble.

View attachment 229378

So, with an appropriate pin at the ready and the epoxy mixed and ready, use a stainless steel brush and scrub the bonding area.... make it shine. Now there's practically no oxides to contaminate the bond. Stick it together. Don't dally around... stick it as soon as possible.

View attachment 229379

The puddle just aft of the ears is where I used some of the J B Weld to fill in the rust pitting.... just an added protection to keep it sealed from gas intrusion. after it's cured, I'll add some more J B Weld and create a fillet around the ear for added strength.

Think the bond ain't strong enough for the gas cap? Think again. Or ask Bob. This is the exact procedure he used on his tank. When I got it for painting, there was a discussion on whether or not it was strong enough. Here's my test that shows how strong it is. 'Nuff said.

View attachment 229380

View attachment 229381

That was done about 2 yrs ago. @WideAWAKE owns Bob's XS2 now and far as I know... it's still holding.

So that brittle little ear struck again!
8F7AEFB1-F357-40F7-90E1-CD8AF5B5B3BB.jpeg

Hi Bunny,
best check first if the plastic that the helmet is made of ain't one that goes all brittle if it's painted.

Hey Fred - its so good to see you back on the forum!

How are things in the flatland?

Pete

Hey Fred - its so good to see you back on the forum!

How are things in the flatland?

Pete
Hi Pete,
It's as flat as ever here and it's many a mile between each bend in the road. And it's still too effin' cold to ride.
OTOH we do have a roundabout (AKA traffic circle) at the end of our street.

Hi Pete,
It's as flat as ever here and it's many a mile between each bend in the road. And it's still too effin' cold to ride.
OTOH we do have a roundabout (AKA traffic circle) at the end of our street.
Oooooh...a roundabout!

You do know how to live Fred!

Pete

I believe physicists call it entropy - the gradual decline of any system into disorder.

The space in a shed or a corridor gradually turns V-shaped as people (we) put things on the floor or against the walls.

Too true Raymond - too true indeed.

Well gents, if Jim's paint room is ready for business - then git yer projects in there as he does the most beautiful paint work and really knows his stuff. He made RobinC's Black Betty into my green Betty and she's a sparkler.

I absolutely recommend Jim as our painter without reservation!

Pete

Petes Betty Tank.png
Sidecovers_Betty - DONE.jpg
IMG_1729_a.JPG

Last edited:
Back