What color should these tins be?

• Candy green and white a la XS1

Votes: 15 29.4%
  • Candy gold and white a la XS1

Votes: 20 39.2%
  • Candy red and white a la XS2

Votes: 16 31.4%

• Total voters
The single color and light reveal contours that are not present in a stock painted bike. Those crease/contours are invisiible in standard paint.
I was bein' a smart ass Kevin. Those are your (standard) side covers and JP's (XS-2) tank.

Mo candy....

1679453332675.png

Even managed to give poor ol' Victor some love.

1679453463795.png

1679453501297.png

Glad to see some of your stuff (Victor, Speedtwin, et al) getting some attention...

I'm a bit curious how a real painter strategizes a multi-color job like the Euro thingie. I often do stuff backward and I'd be tempted to go red, black, yellow and then orange:umm: - given the teenie stripes involved:shrug:

Last edited:
Glad to see some of your stuff (Victor, Speedtwin, et al) getting some attention...

I'm a bit curious how a real painter strategizes a multi-color job like the Euro thingie. I often do stuff backward and I'd be tempted to go red, black, yellow and then orange:umm: - given the teenie stripes involved:shrug:
Lot's of variables JP.... dark on light, largest color, area-wise... personal preference and experience....
For your tank I'll most likely go with the mandarin first, then black and finally the pinstripes. Haven't set that in stone yet. Found some more little dings to work out first.

'course, that's me speakin'. Let me know what a real painter sez? :wink2:

Is the sheet on the wall to check color and/or adjust spray pattern?
Yes.

That's art, you philistine!
Yeah.... that too. :laugh2:

There was a post war time that paint was cheaper than chrome. My standard is early Nortons, after a fashion, but the AJS and others evoke a a timeless standard. I had tended towards a "Honda" half white panel on the tank but thought the "Yamaha" emblem would bisected the upper red in an uncomfortable position.

Wanted to just try one easy piece first and see if you like it Kevin. If you do, I'll press on striping the rest?
I think it has an old school AJS... Matchless vibe to it. Very retro.
Very cool. I like it. That is what I should have responded right away. Sorry. Vertical twins of note span decades and I hope to capture a "representative" look of '60s. No, the disc brake doesn't fit. I willl live with that.

Quiz time... which cover had the two holes welded shut? :er:

1679771015319.png

Kevin used chrome acorn nuts for his lower mounting setup. I left 'em unpainted. I think they'll look very snazzy on the bike.

1679771136324.png

Thanks Bob. Yep, that can has done my SG, your XS-2, an XS-1 in Nashville and now Kevins bike.

Quiz time... which cover had the two holes welded shut? :er:

View attachment 238911

Kevin used chrome acorn nuts for his lower mounting setup. I left 'em unpainted. I think they'll look very snazzy on the bike.

View attachment 238912
A PO did that, then glued an embem on, probably the right one. Left one was red with 2 holes.

Last edited:
Back