Pamco E-Advance kaput?

kungfutoast

XS650 Member
Reaction score
To the points… get it?

I am running (trying to) an 82 motor with Hughs PMA, standard coil, and reg/rec setup, LED lights all buttoned up on a capacitor. For ignition I have the Pamco E-Advance. I’ve been struggling to get a healthy spark and constant power. After prodding and probing around with my handy multimeter I found that the PAMCO unit is killing my capacitor charge almost instantly. Is my unit fried!? Will my girl kick me to the curb where my bike left stranded!? Is this normal? Can you drop the advance box unit and just keep the points pickup unit? What are my options here? Happy to toss it in the bin and get something new. I’ve been struggling with this dang Pamco box since I brought it home in 2016. Over it.

Hit me with your best/worst advice.

I’m in the same boat. I’m giving up on my Pamco with e-advance. All the wires snapped at the connectors last year and this year it’s causing me grief by causing stalling and trouble starting when warm.

I’ve got a Boyer power digital ignition kit on order. If you go that route you’ll need a Boyer battery eliminator since you’re running battery less.

Pamco Pete stated that his units should never be used on a PMA using a cap only................To much variation in voltage spikes that blows the pamco unit.

When a PMA and pamco is used in conjunction the Pamco should be set up with a battery for power to test for the set up and to make sure it is timed and runs properly and on a separate system to the PMA so a spike wont kill the pamco

Using LED lights with a PMA means your SS Reg/Rect has to shunt off more heat, (heat is the byproduct of the power produced and not used), in turn this can cause your Reg part of the SS Reg/Rect to burn out in turn producing a spike power through the loom killing the pamco.

Run incandescent bulbs so the bike is using up some of the Power it is putting out. factory charging system put out about 135 watts and with the lights and everything working it uses most of those watts. The idea of using LEDs in conjunction with the factory system is to take a bit of the load off it and have a bit more to spare................A PMA puts out 200 watts so if the bike is using only 120 watts, (Less running LED lights) there is 80 watts + getting converted to heat the Reg/Rect has to deal with

Pamco Pete stated that his units should never be used on a PMA using a cap only................To much variation in voltage spikes that blows the pamco unit.

When a PMA and pamco is used in conjunction the Pamco should be set up with a battery for power to test for the set up and to make sure it is timed and runs properly and on a separate system to the PMA so a spike wont kill the pamco

Using LED lights with a PMA means your SS Reg/Rect has to shunt off more heat, (heat is the byproduct of the power produced and not used), in turn this can cause your Reg part of the SS Reg/Rect to burn out in turn producing a spike power through the loom killing the pamco.

Run incandescent bulbs so the bike is using up some of the Power it is putting out. factory charging system put out about 135 watts and with the lights and everything working it uses most of those watts. The idea of using LEDs in conjunction with the factory system is to take a bit of the load off it and have a bit more to spare................A PMA puts out 200 watts so if the bike is using only 120 watts, (Less running LED lights) there is 80 watts + getting converted to heat the Reg/Rect has to deal with
Oh Snap! Great call out 650Skull. I was not aware of this. Seams like you know a bit about thing or two. Would you have recommendations for ignition alternatives to the Pamco one? Seeing as I am pretty sure my current one needs replacing.

650Skull is in AUS (currently 3am). He'll likely reply later.

Were I you, I'd explore if you can buy parts of Hugh's current CDI ignition as you have his PMA - maybe it'll retrofit. If for whatever reason you have to replace the whole system, I like VAPE, but $$

Ah word, yeah he will not be replying anytime soon. I am in the PNW. My next step is to reach out to Hugh and see what he recommends. I would love to upgrade to his CDI box. It does not look like he sells parts individually.

consider the VAPE system. Been around for a long time and is quite reliable. That's what I'd be running on my builds if I didn't already have parts. I might end up swapping to them on my bobber to simplify/clean up the wiring even more.

Back