Pamco hall effect chip info

fullercameron

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone out there had any success replacing the hall effect sensor on a Pamco? I had a coil failure that I believe led to toasting the chip on the Pamco board but I haven't been able to find a replacement with the exact numerical code on the sensor that came in the Pamco.

I sent a message to Pamco Pete but I thought i would also see if anyone else might have any information. I've always had good luck with this unit and I'd like to repair it rather than replacing.

Thanks for any info.

Thanks for the quick reply. I looked through that thread and checked out the pamco thread that is linked in there. Unfortunately, he was replacing the IGBT chip in the board. I'm pretty sure that this is fine on my pamco unit. What appears to be shot was the actual hall effect sensor.

The original sensor on the pamco has the marking, 61a 304. I haven't been able to find this exact chip. The closest number i could find was for a Honeywell ss461a which is a latching hall effect sensor that is the same size, etc. We soldered a new sensor into the board and now I am not getting any spark. When we tested the unit in a bench, it looks like the hall effect sensor is not getting triggered by the magnets on the rotor. If we tried the sensor with a larger magnet, it appears to be turning on and off as it should. I stuck a couple magnets on the rotor to boost the signal and it seems to trigger properly. There is a high sensitivity sensor available but i was hoping that someone might have the specs on the chip before i ordered another one that may not be correct.

I haven't been able to find a hall effect sensor with the exact markings that were on the original and was hoping someone out there might know what a proper replacement would be. Since I can't find that number, I'm wondering if that particular part is now obsolete and needs to be replaced with a newer sensor with similar specs.

Just an update for anyone that is interested. I spoke to the sensor division at Honeywell and the guy I spoke to told me that he believed that the original hall effect sensor on the Pamco unit was made by them and that it was likely that it was the older version of the ss461A. He said that the older chips used abbreviated markings so the 61A on the chip was just shortened.

I told him that the ss461A chip we had replaced the original with wasn't registering the magnets on the rotor and he said that using the high sensitivity version of the sensor might get better results. I got a couple of the new sensors in the mail (new chip number ss460S) and they appear to be switching properly. I was itching to get a ride in last week so I reinstalled the points system temporarily. I'll hopefully swap the repaired Pamco into the bike over the weekend and give it another shot. I'll update once I know whether or not the new sensor has solved the problem. Fingers crossed.

Back