pamco problems again

If there isn't an e advance...that's pretty much all it is. Switched 12v+ to the unit and coil a ground and one wire tied to the other side of the coil from the unit. And I'm not saying you didn't have a faulty unit out of the box. But it's a SIMPLE install....Really. even if you use butt splices and heat shrink and can't solder.

Naw, we know Pete don't walk on clouds but he's damned helpful and the model of openness. Sure he has glitches but I'll bet the farm the great majority of issues are owner, not Pete problems. I do not own any Pamco stock, well 4 or 5 Pamco ignitions and one old Martek that also was working when replaced with a pamco. But hey you like points I'm good with that, as mentioned 2 of my 3 runners are still points.

I never said Pete wasn't an upright guy. The 1st unit I sat on for many months as I was custom building a project, and he replaced it without question once I got a hold of him. Same with the second piece. When it lasted all of a couple of minutes I mentally wrote the Pamco off of my list. The 3rd he sent me I sold cheap, with a disclaimer to the buyer. I never got any feed back on that. Pete was being very helpful. Maybe he got some bad parts, whatever, it's not material to me. If I buy 2 bad Toyotas in a row, I'm not in the market for a 3rd. Lots of folks like their Toyotas.

Triumph68, I have installed a few sets of pamcos now and have found them to be nothing but reliable.
I run two sets, one on my kick only xs650 and the other on my sohc 750 Honda.
If they are installed correctly and aren't left powered up they are a good thing IMO.
As Pete has mentioned there is a lot of other issues that might need addressing on your bike as well.

Try pulling the pod filters if you run them. Stock CV carbs will not rev with certain pod filters.

Time at full advance, not at idle. Just blip the throttle over 3k to get the flyweights out to full advance.

Both or either of these are easy to over look and would cause problems.

thanks men for your help i went through the check list pamco pete put up i have vm34 round slides i went up jets and down the bike is fully rewired by an auto electrician its timed properly it has a new battery new plugs . could the advance rod be not working properly ? and if not how do you fix it . thanks triumph68

I believe there is a video in the tech section of how the advance weights should snap back. Make sure they snap back when they are fully extended also make sure the advance rad that runs through the cam is not binding up, it should move freely in the bronze bushings, it also doesn't hurt to put a thin layer of oil on the rod to lubricate it

triumph68,

Did you check that your tach is working properly? Maybe the revs are much higher. Use this Excel spreadsheet to see what your RPM's should be for a given road speed in MPH:

REVS vs MPH

With the standard 17/34 sprockets, you would be doing about 72 MPH at 5,000 RPM in fifth gear.

well the bike shop rang and they said the ignition was faulty and the coil was smoking so im sure thats fried and i have to order a new one from the USA from mikes what i want to know if the electronic pick ups are stuffed as well and i need a whole new system ? this is becoming a joke sadly a $10,000 dollar joke thanks triumph 68

well the bike shop rang and they said the ignition was faulty and the coil was smoking so im sure thats fried and i have to order a new one from the USA from mikes what i want to know if the electronic pick ups are stuffed as well and i need a whole new system ? this is becoming a joke sadly a $10,000 dollar joke thanks triumph 68
Triumph68, coils can be had at most bike shops..? I wouldn't be going to the u.s. just for one of those.
Does your bikeshop know what they're doing..? Hopefully they didn't fry the system while trying to diagnose.

for a bike that is suppose to be simple this was the only bike shop that would touch it and the only one that had heard of PAMCO and he thinks there shit ! ive got the mounts for the coil welded on the frame and its been powder coated so i am sorta stuck with the coil that comes with the PAMCO kit dam it ! the aussie supplier geoffs xs is out of stock off cause . is i have no choise than to go through mikes xs .

for a bike that is suppose to be simple this was the only bike shop that would touch it and the only one that had heard of PAMCO and he thinks there shit ! ive got the mounts for the coil welded on the frame and its been powder coated so i am sorta stuck with the coil that comes with the PAMCO kit dam it ! the aussie supplier geoffs xs is out of stock off cause . is i have no choise than to go through mikes xs .
I'd offer to get it going for you but I'm not in Brisbane.
I have a small shop run from home in Hervey Bay.

With any older bike, to get it running ALL shops that I know of charge an hourly rate and will not quote a price to repair, that's if they'll touch it in the first place.

Some dealerships have a 10yr cutoff, where they don't work on anything older, as it's too much hassle.

It is simple. You took it to an incompetent shop. If most guys who come on here, myself included at one time, bought one of these bikes without ever turning a wrench prior, can get it running and even do a top end rebuild by reading and following directions. I don't know how much more simple it can get. Hell the pamco is like 3 wires to hook up. I don't even know how you could manage to fry a coil.....I think it even has built in protection against that.

These older bikes are only suitable for guys that do their own work. Even if you know almost nothing about bikes, the guys on this site can teach you everything you need to know. If you take your bike to a motorcycle shop everytime it has a problem, it will certainly cost you a small fortune, as you are finding out.

If you don't want to learn yourself, how to do the maintenance, you would be much better off, only owning bikes that are less than 10 years old.

As CDNTX650 said, you took your bike to a shop that is run by "know nothing" mechanics. They likely left the ignition powered up, and fried the ignition. Get your bike away from those crooks as soon as possible.

These are simple bikes.

Look sounds like you are dealing with a shop that does not have up to date experience. If they left the key on for over 15 mins its fried so here is your easy out and you can do this yourself. Find someone on here who has a TCI setup BLACK BOX/COIL/ALT 1980 to 1983 and hook it up and ride. If you don't know anything go back to basic setup ride and learn from there. Buying another PAMCO to be burned up is stupid. These parts bolt on and done. 1980 to 1983 bikes came with this setup and worked fine or throw a set of points in the bike buy a HARLEY coil and also done. There is either a floating ground which happen many times when you powder coat a frame and will burn up lights/coils/switches because the ground is not proper. Been there done it with many customers who's bike looked great but didn't take the time to clean off the ground points that were powder coated. You are just throwing money away and the shop may have never experienced this problem. Real easy way to tell is turn key on and with test light see if it lights or lights on bike go dim buy touching bolts holding parts. Oder bike take many hour of learning it and how things work. Pickup a book and start to read cover to cover you may not understand things at first but I have taught so many people how to work on there own bikes because most shops have overhead and you pay for that overhead no matter if they keep burning up your parts or fix it.

Attachments

• alt.jpg
    alt.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 152
  • coil.jpg
    coil.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 138
  • tci.jpg
    tci.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 154
His first post said he "fitted" the pamco and had it running.

Side note I was looking at some parts a fellow had. And in the process was looking at his project that OEM had the electronic ignition, he had bought parts from you know who.
Fitted his pma and pamco with the mechnical advance. I saw no evidence of cracked cam ends or other damage but the rod was so tight it took some effort to turn it.
No way the springs would return it on their own. I suggested he take the cam from the older points motor to fix the problem. The bike went up for sale on craigslist not long after.

I think all those "new" mikes parts like the advance rod and advancer are shit. My mikes advancer blew to pieces and left me stranded. The e advancer was good money spent.

Back