PAMCO Timing - Any ideas on this one?? Pete??

Gonna throw in new plugs and see how I go.
Having to add fuel to get her to pull would indicate lean however plugs show otherwise.
If timing is too advanced or too retarded could that appear as a problem I am having. Ie/ having to use the chock/rich ener??
Just confused now as timing has been set and is spot on.

If a mate said to you. Hey, my bike coughs and sputters and loses power under load. You would say "check timing" then "might be leads and coils breaking down"
Right? It would usually be a coil in my experience but the ignition checks out fine.
So trying new plugs first. Got resistor plugs this time. I was using BP7 now BPR7 plugs. With the ultimate coil it works fine but I thought I would try.

Any ideas??

Posted via Mobile

You say the T mark lines up at TDC. I hope you didn't time there. Timing is between the F marks.
If it runs well with the enrichener pulled out and won't with it pushed in, then the carbs need work. Pulling the enrichener out can't change the ignition, it can only affect fuel.
Your carbs may have been rebuilt but crap in the fuel you put in the tank can plug the carbs up.
Have you read the carb guide? If not read it and clean your carbs your self.
This will eliminate them from the problem or fix it.
Leo

Hey XSLeo,

Yep read re-read and printed then re-read carb guide. I have stripped and rebuilt my carbs myself. The last time someone who knew XS carbs better did it.

The timing I did correct. Lines up to TDC to make sure cam was dialed in correctly but timing was done between F marks. Also, advance goes up to the advance mark and doesn't go further. Timing looks spot on.

If the plugs are stuffed that could be part of it right?
I grabbed new plugs to throw in and see.

Posted via Mobile

Bad plugs can cause misfire. The spark instead of jumping the gap tends to follow the fouling. This bleeds off part of the spark.
From what you say the ignition is working. It idles fine and under throttle it advances smoothly to full advance then the ignition is working as it should.
If you have poor spark it can be several things, Bad plug, bad coil, bad wires or caps. If all these things are new then it could be carbs.
The BP7ES will be a better plug. It has the tip of the plug extending into the combustion chamber a bit more the BP7. This gets the spark out in the mixture better.
Leo

If you have to use the enrichener to keep it running then your carbs need attention. Can you tell us the year of the carbs and what pilots, mains, needles, needle jets and clip position, float height.
Intake mods, exhaust mods.
Leo

Hi XSLeo,

1981 XS
BS34 carbs rebuilt all stock needles and jets. Floats set to 24mm and needle dropped a slot.
Open pipes but with baffles that close things up a lot and pod filters.

Did 300kms on it on last run and it was great until it spun the copper cup for e-advance.
I put in new plugs BPR7 and it runs fine now.
Still not sure why it's fouling. Plugs are dry.
I'm using the ultimate coil and PAMCO ignition setup with a new and fully charged battery.
Timing is spot on.

Since it runs fine with the new plugs ill see how it goes now for a bit. Right cylinder plug after around the block squirt seems perfect. Left a little sooty though. Strange.
Only thing I notice is that it pops and backfires through exhaust on decel but I believe that's air around the header.

Not sure what other info I can put in.

Cheers,
Peter

Posted via Mobile

Hey Brother,

As of about 1hour ago she is awesome.
However I had to turn the plate to almost FULL advance (counter clockwise) and now it's great.
Plugs look pretty lean but ok.

Happy days. Going for a ride tomorrow so will see.

Pete!

Posted via Mobile

A dry powdery color on a plug is a rich condition. I might suggest checking the air mix screws, Needle settings. Float height.
Floats even a bit off can effect the mix.
Leo

Ok all good. Put more advance in and plugs are perfect.
I believe my bike is finally tuned!!! Ridden ALL day today, 50kms then 5kms then 6kms etc.

Sweeet!

Posted via Mobile

Back