Parts Cleaner Fluid

:eek:only $4 a gallon in KS. Still better than the $11 a gallon stuff that Home Despot sells.

Hi Rustie,
us apprentices used to milk the Company's big trichlorethylene storage tank to wash off our motorcycle parts.
Free cleaning solvent, until they put a big padlock on the tank valve.

Hi Mikey,
Kerosene at a farm store is same stuff as Diesel fuel at a filling station but costs less because it's taxed less?
Up here the tax Nazis have color cards to test non-farm vehicles' fuel to see if it's dyed pink (farm use only) or not.
I thought it was a lighter version of #1 diesel used to burn it in one of those wick heaters

Hi Rustie,
us apprentices used to milk the Company's big trichlorethylene storage tank to wash off our motorcycle parts.
Free cleaning solvent, until they put a big padlock on the tank valve.
We used that stuff for a short time at the shop for parts cleaner. It worked good but you did not want to spend a long time at the wash stand! Also boss questioned if some one was stealing it till we explained how fast it evaporate.

Not sure if one would like to read some of the health hazards that are related to exposure to that stuff! I know it would eat away at the plastic grip on screwdrivers if you let them soak for too long!

I thought it was a lighter version of #1 diesel used to burn it in one of those wick heaters
Yeah #1 Diesel (kerosene) and #2 Diesel (pump/over the road diesel and or farm use off road) are not the same thing. They are distilled and different temps and have wildly different hydrocarbon chain structures. #1 has almost zero lubricity properties and is safe to burn in a wick heater in your house.

Yeah #1 Diesel (kerosene) and #2 Diesel (pump/over the road diesel and or farm use off road) are not the same thing. They are distilled and different temps and have wildly different hydrocarbon chain structures. #1 has almost zero lubricity properties and is safe to burn in a wick heater in your house.
In the store insane price outside at the pump not so insane :wtf:who knew

In the store insane price outside at the pump not so insane :wtf:who knew
Its because fewer and fewer fuel stations are selling kero, so big box store like Home Despot re-label it as 'Heater Fuel" and rake people over the coals because they can't get it anywhere else. I heat my shop with kerosene so I buy 10 gallons every spring, I use the remainder to clean parts. I'll cut it 75/25 kero/spirits for parts cleaning. now that I have a stationary parts washer that I'm cleaning the fluid in I may not need as much though.:rolleyes:

Back