Parts request '81 XS650

Gee Tea

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello all, trying to order a few parts from Mikes Xs; I need the front caliper crush washer for the banjo bolt. It's an 8 mm nut to bleed the brakes, does Mikes source the crush washer for the OEM caliper? Also my friend told me to carry a spare master link for the chain drive just in case. I've never had a chain driven bike so this is new to me, can anyone source which part I need? Thanks.

The banjo bolt is 10mm, not 8. About any 10mm copper washer will work. The bleeder screw has a beveled edge cut into it for sealing. No washer required.

Unless you know the brand of your chain, getting a spare master for it is gonna be hit and miss.
On an XS, as with many other bikes there's always the potential for damage to the engine if a master link lets go. Not to mention the risk of a wheel lockup. A lot of people go with riveted masters because of that.

I use .032" stainless safety wire on my master link as a precaution. I can't positively say that it prevents master's coming apart, but it's never happened to me after 50+ yrs of safetying them.

master1.jpg

You can bleed the line @ the banjo, but normally you bleed caliper and line at the special bleeder fitting:

08-5000_brake-caliper-left-side-xs650_01 (2).jpg

The banjo bolt is 10mm, not 8. About any 10mm copper washer will work. The bleeder screw has a beveled edge cut into it for sealing. No washer required.

Unless you know the brand of your chain, getting a spare master for it is gonna be hit and miss.
On an XS, as with many other bikes there's always the potential for damage to the engine if a master link lets go. Not to mention the risk of a wheel lockup. A lot of people go with riveted masters because of that.

I use .032" stainless safety wire on my master link as a precaution. I can't positively say that it prevents master's coming apart, but it's never happened to me after 50+ yrs of safetying them.

View attachment 225617
Ok thanks Jim, Good to know. I may try that.

No sir, just a flare type bevel
bleeder valve  fitting.png

We all have to get some stuff from Mike's and some of it is good.

For generic - some XS - motorcycle parts, tools & supplies this is a good source for PA and middle US:

https://www.denniskirk.com/

Because they are such a popular classic there are a number of outlets for XS650s, Cruisinimage are quite good for engine parts, pistons, rings and so on. I've never dealt with Mikes, but they don't seem to have much of a name. Parts like copper washers are available on ebay. Matter of fact a lot of XS650 parts are available on ebay: Points, condensers, cam chains, chains, sprockets, pretty well anything.

I've used parts from Mikes, but as a general rule they're my last resort. I'll search everywhere else first.

Back