Pathetically Slow Flasher & LED Usage

REPETE

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Good Morning All -

This'll be a two-parter.

First, My flashers only work normally when rpm's are increased. At idle - say sitting at a traffic light - they don't flash. So, I'm intending on replacing the flasher unit. After 46yrs of service it's earned it's proper burial.
I've been scouting around on the site for any post that raved about some new fangled kickass best ever flasher but most of what I've found are posts from 2010-11 dealing with two prong replacements, where to find it and introduction of LED lights. I know there's not much to them, but I also know that I don't know as much as I'd like to know :wink2:
So, is there a new best ever flasher out there?

Second item is by going through the posts my interest has been piqued concerning the use of LED's.
From what I've read and been able to find on the internet (more like not find)I'd like to get the lowdown on what's available that works and works well - without having to rewire or introduce addl. components.
One of the posts recommended SuperBrightLED's 1157-R45-T LED Taillight Bulb. Once on the website I saw that the bulb is not a clear light as is the stock bulb. It's a red glowing light. Is there anyone using these red LED's behind their red taillight lense? Are they so bright it doesn't matter? Does anyone have or know if the 1157 is made in a clear? :umm:
Also, does anyone know if there's LED replacement bulbs for the turn signals? Just like the clear #1157 taillight bulb, I haven't had any success finding those either.

So, we have here a discussion rehash but with technology changing as fast as it does and along with my numerous specific questions it'll hopefully be of value not only to me but many others as well.

Your thoughts please

Pete (repete)

Superbright has a 1157-NW27-T that is white with 100/330 lumens. Turns would be 1156-NW18-T 325 lumens. Flasher would be a tridon 552 flasher. I personally haven't used these (my bike uses a hodgepodge of parts) but the tridon flasher has been recommended on this site for a long time with led turn signals and my google-fu turned up those part numbers for the bulbs on superbright website.

If you don't care about the self canceling, I found a no load flasher on Amazon with adjustable flashing speed for pocket change. All I can tell you is that it's an orange cube. I'd have to dig through a lot of Amazon transactions to find it.

Good Morning All -

Second item is by going through the posts my interest has been piqued concerning the use of LED's.
From what I've read and been able to find on the internet (more like not find)I'd like to get the lowdown on what's available that works and works well - without having to rewire or introduce addl. components.
One of the posts recommended SuperBrightLED's 1157-R45-T LED Taillight Bulb. Once on the website I saw that the bulb is not a clear light as is the stock bulb. It's a red glowing light. Is there anyone using these red LED's behind their red taillight lense? Are they so bright it doesn't matter? Does anyone have or know if the 1157 is made in a clear? :umm:
Also, does anyone know if there's LED replacement bulbs for the turn signals? Just like the clear #1157 taillight bulb, I haven't had any success finding those either.

So, we have here a discussion rehash but with technology changing as fast as it does and along with my numerous specific questions it'll hopefully be of value not only to me but many others as well.

Your thoughts please

Pete (repete)

Behind your taillight lens, use red replacement for 1157 in LED. White light is every color, so the red lens will block part of it. Use red lamps and you'll have a very bright taillight.
Behind your turn signal lens, use amber replacement for 1156 in LED. White light is every color, so an amber lens will block some light from a white lamp. Amber lamps will be very bright.
Use a no load LED flasher and you're done! I fished all this stuff off of Amazon. It was easy enough.

Behind your taillight lens, use red replacement for 1157 in LED. White light is every color, so the red lens will block part of it. Use red lamps and you'll have a very bright taillight.
Behind your turn signal lens, use amber replacement for 1156 in LED. White light is every color, so an amber lens will block some light from a white lamp. Amber lamps will be very bright.
Use a no load LED flasher and you're done! I fished all this stuff off of Amazon. It was easy enough.

Guys - I appreciate the responses!

jetmechmarty - you're giving me hope of some success. I've spoken to bith a rep from Mikes XS & Superbright and they've either not answered my questions (SuperBright) or confused the hell out of me (Mikes).
Mikes had told me that if I introduce LED turn signal bulbs that I'll have issues with the gauge indicator bulbs :eek::shootme:
I don't want to get tripped up and goal is for everything to work as it should - and brighter.
I understand the "No Load" flasher part - doesn't need to sense a power draw to work. While looking at the bulbs on SuperBright website I also looked at their No Load flasher units. There's a plethora of them. And then there's the Tridon 552 ippytattoo suggested. So getting a flasher isn't the issue, just seems to me I need to decide on two or three prong. And I believe I read here on the forum that won't matter either? If true, what happens to the third connection (presumably ground)? As far as the choices of No Load Flashers is concerned, No Load is No Load, right? :umm:.

I'm not trying to make this difficult for those that know and are comfortable in understanding how these work, but I probably shouldn't have queried the vendors whereas all they did was create more questions/concerns.

I understand to get RED Rear Facing light for the taillight and presumably I should also look for the same for my red rear directionals (#1156 bulb).
And amber to go behind the front amber lensed turn signals.

Whew!

Mikes had told me that if I introduce LED turn signal bulbs that I'll have issues with the gauge indicator bulbs :eek::shootme:

I understand to get RED Rear Facing light for the taillight and presumably I should also look for the same for my red rear directionals (#1156 bulb).
And amber to go behind the front amber lensed turn signals.

Whew!

What MikesXS told you is BS. My Eleven Special is working perfectly with LED taillights and signals. It has incandescent lights in the clocks, pilot box and plate light. My headlight is also OEM.

The lamps I bought are multidirectional. They light up all around and on the ends. My taillight is brighter than brakes on bright. It gets twice as bright with the brake switch.

I'm sorry I can't be definitive with two prong three prong scenario. My 650 is currently in stock configuration and working, so until it's broken.... The XS11 lighting is different due hazard lights.

What MikesXS told you is BS. My Eleven Special is working perfectly with LED taillights and signals. It has incandescent lights in the clocks, pilot box and plate light. My headlight is also OEM.

The lamps I bought are multidirectional. They light up all around and on the ends. My taillight is brighter than brakes on bright. It gets twice as bright with the brake switch.

I'm sorry I can't be definitive with two prong three prong scenario. My 650 is currently in stock configuration and working, so until it's broken.... The XS11 lighting is different due hazard lights.

This is very helpful and I'm going to move ahead confidentially with the LED purchases from SuperBright.

I believe that the following will be correct (if anyone wishes to dbl. check me)....
1157-R19W6 Taillight Bulb
1156-A18-Turn Signal Lights (Amber)

I'm thinking of just getting the bulbs and see how it goes with the stock flasher seeing as how these bulbs will draw much less power.

I'd agree on the brightness. I have one of those old 32 Ford lamps as a tailight and put a LED red stop with the white running/ plate light and can tell you they are WAY brighter than stock bulbs. On the down side, I did have to replace the stop lamp after a few months tho so their durability is questionable...

It won't work. The stock flasher requires the greater current drawn by the incandescent lamps.

ik. More very good info.
Back to a new flasher.
Any thoughts on this one?

LF1-S-PIN Universal Motorcycle Electronic Flasher
Part Number: LF1-S-PIN

23 Reviews
timthumb.php

I kind of zeroed in on it because of the connectors. However, admittedly I don’t know how to read the specifications regarding power draw, etc.

The no load Flashers being recommended and the one's I've found on my own seem to be two prong. What do I do with the ground? Abandon it? :umm:

Update: Found the Orange one on Amazon and ordering. Still confused though about 3rd connection & ground wire

Last edited:
One of those connections has to do with the self-cancel. If no one pipes up, I'll look at the wiring diagram tonight. I've been under the impression you can plug in a two prong flasher and it will function without the self-cancel. (Most motorcycles don't have that feature anyway.)

One of those connections has to do with the self-cancel. If no one pipes up, I'll look at the wiring diagram tonight. I've been under the impression you can plug in a two prong flasher and it will function without the self-cancel. (Most motorcycles don't have that feature anyway.)

I appreciate your hanging in there with me. I don't have self cancel. Power in - load out - ground
I edited prior post. found the orange one you spoke of. Others recommended (like the Tridon 552) are also two prong. So folks must be using them. But what are they doing about the ground?
I'd like to address that if possible

I appreciate your hanging in there with me. I don't have self cancel. Power in - load out - ground
I edited prior post. found the orange one you spoke of. Others recommended (like the Tridon 552) are also two prong. So folks must be using them. But what are they doing about the ground?
@REPETE, What year model is your XS650? Are you sure it's a ground? Are you looking at the wiring diagram?

Thanks for that!
That particular unit doesn't come up in a search on their website. It is rather old.
I'm moving forward with a two prong unit. As stated earlier, folks are using them with apparent success.
I guess I'll just be abandoning the ground wire. :shrug:

Back