Patina question

txxs

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
pdf2779.png
IMG_2781.jpg

Just curious why the rusty surface is on the white but not the green?
(original 71 tank)

There are extra layers of paint on the green part.
Yup Yamaha sprayed the white, masked, then the silver and green. Nice tank! I've worked on a tank that looked like that, it's amazing how well that will clean up while retaining original paint/patina. Try a bit of Blue magic see what happens.

Thanks Gary for the tip about blue magic.
I suspect there was a batch of green tanks with bad quality control as I've seen this on a few 71 candy green tanks but I haven't seen it this bad on the 71 candy orange tanks

I can second Gary's Blue Magic tip. He mentioned it before a few weeks ago and I'm using it on a tank right now. It's doing a wonderful job, amazing really. I first tried the cleaner wax I use but it had little to no effect.

Get some pics? I did a gold 71 tank with blue magic but didn't snap before after pics, darn it.

That's a problem, Blue Magic is a US based company I haven't found any other product that works like it. You'll probably just have to keep trying til you find something you like. It's not labeled for paint but I tried it once on really bad paint, and have been sold ever since. Usually by hand with rags maybe a bit of extra water on paint I use it with buffing wheels in drills on aluminum. But if it's not real critical I'll run it on a slow machine buffer on paint too. You can quickly bump the value of an old car by $1,000 with this stuff LOL.
Z_8EG_fo5oy.jpg

These are real before and after photos....

20170221_152652.jpg DSCN8264.JPG
I did paint the rust holes then buff.

Attachments

• 20170221_152652.jpg
    20170221_152652.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 92
Bought one on ebay.
The price was all over the place from $17 + free postage direct from US (but wait 4 or 5 weeks), another one several hundred dollars postage from US.
I settled for the one for $21 and get it in a few days.

Last edited:
I’ve used Blue Magic before on metal surfaces, honestly didn’t think it was all that great. Didn’t try it on paint, sounds interesting.
Saw this on Jay Leno’s garage, Quick- Glo, personally thought is was fantastic on chrome and aluminum. Sorry if I’ve digressed a bit from the original subject, but since we’re talking about polish, thought I would throw my 2 cents in.

One thing about Quick-Glo, it has grit in it, I think pumice. This is what makes it work relatively fast, and the grit breaks down as you work it, the more you rub the shinier it gets. Worked great in a die grinder with a polishing wheel and slow speed. Another product that’s good is Semichrome, but kind of expensive.

0000 Steel wool and the Blue Magic and a lot of rubbing, wipe down with clean soft cloth. I put a coat of good wax on after to prevent it from oxidizing again. Seems to be holding up well after 3 months in my damp shed.

Back