Petcock only working when it leaks

Is fuel delivery issue solved (gas will flow with drains open)?
Lets verify, the carb parts are all assembled properly - check everything - the needle shims should be between #11 & #12 in the pic.
yamaha-xs650-1980-a-usa-carburetor_bigyau0718c-4_bb37 (1) (2).jpg

Yeah fuel delivery is solved. Filter was stopping gas flow. I know I lost the ball bearings and baby springs for the choke rod but I don’t think that should be all too much of an issue.
I just remembered I’m missing the rubber plugs for the pilot jets too. I’m assuming they’re pretty important since they’re supposed to be in there

Yeah fuel delivery is solved. Filter was stopping gas flow. I know I lost the ball bearings and baby springs for the choke rod but I don’t think that should be all too much of an issue.
I just remembered I’m missing the rubber plugs for the pilot jets too. I’m assuming they’re pretty important since they’re supposed to be in there
That could be a big issue: if the float plungers aren't sealed closed, the diaphragm slides don't work. Yep every part in the carb is critical with a capital K. Yes on pilot plugs

That could be a big issue: if the float plungers aren't sealed closed, the diaphragm slides don't work. Yep every part in the carb is critical with a capital K. Yes on pilot plugs
Is that all in response to the plugs? Or some of that the ball bearings and springs from the choke?

Or some of that the ball bearings and springs from the choke?

1/8" ball bearings, springs don't remember likely 2mm diameter, perhaps 5-6mm long

plugs too

One way of getting the diaphragm in the groove is just continue pushing it into the groove all around for a few minutes and eventually the warmth from your hands relaxes it enough to stay in

One way of getting the diaphragm in the groove is just continue pushing it into the groove all around for a few minutes and eventually the warmth from your hands relaxes it enough to stay in
Got the diaphragm seated properly again! Thanks for the advise! I used a very small amount of face grease (accidentally) and held it in place and that seemed to work.
Or some of that the ball bearings and springs from the choke?

1/8" ball bearings, springs don't remember likely 2mm diameter, perhaps 5-6mm long

plugs too
I guess I was more so asking if the failure to seal causing the diaphragm to not work was because of the plug or both the choke assembly and the plug

The diaphragm on my right carb is a bit sus. It seems to not be sealing properly. No matter how I sit it, it will not fit all the way around in its groove. When I gently lift up on the brass diaphragm tube with the needle, it falls with little to no resistance unlike my left carb. Could this be the issue?
Yea, let's revisit that when you get the carbs off

Got the diaphragm seated properly again! Thanks for the advise! I used a very small amount of face grease (accidentally) and held it in place and that seemed to work.
You're welcome, sir. Finger warmth, face grease, ear wax, boogers, are all acceptable for holding it in.

Back