Petrol prices

How much do you think is the rise due to price gouging?
While that is a common sentiment, in my neck of the wood, it is not realistic. I have 3 different fuel dealer chains with in 1/2 mile from my home. One is generally 5 cents cheaper than the others. I have 6 different fuel dealer chains within 3 miles of my home. All charge within 5 or 6 cents of eachother. As a sidenote to Skull and other non US or non Midwest members, virtually all fuel sellers in my area are 1 stop stores. They sell fast food, candy, chips(crisps for the UK denizens) beer, oil, some basic food supplies, cigarettes and condoms. They don't get the store traffic if you drive on by to the sign that advertises 5 cents cheaper on gas. On that same sidenote, can I assume the term "servos" refers to something similar to our "MiniMart"? Maybe these "Mini Marts" rate a separate thread.

Last edited:
I agree RV and boating are going to take a hit this season. For the last two years you couldn’t buy a boat. I’ll bet this year there will be many for sale.

For fun I searched how big fuel tanks were on offshore performance boats. Looks like some are in excess of 250 gallons. I’m guessing fuel at the marina has to be at least 10% more than on land. If fuel hits $2/L here (which I’m sure isn’t far away… especially on long weekends - funny how that mysteriously happens), then to fill up your big performance boat would be over $2,500 Cdn. That sport is too expensive for me. Many years ago I had a 21ft day cruiser I used to haul to the cottage and back for the weekend. It was nothing to burn 80-100 gallons for the weekend. Couldn’t afford that now. I guess if you can afford the big boat, the cost of fuel is meaningless.
Brother has a 36 foot Express Cruiser, twin Yanmar 320s. Two 150 gal tanks feeding a 50 gal day tank. He runs a 60 mile round trip (to go to lunch up or down the coast) a couple times a year. But, the hull is stepped, the props are surface piercing and at 30 knots he is burning only 20-25 gallons an hour. Most of his water time on this boat is 1 or 2 hour cocktail cruises, idling along at 6 knots enjoying drinks and burning 2 or 3 gallons an hour. He pointed out once (I hate him) that he spends less on fuel than he and I spend on sails for our sailboat.

While that is a common sentiment, in my neck of the wood, it is not realistic. I have 3 different fuel dealer chains with in 1/2 mile from my home. One is generally 5 cents cheaper than the others. I have 6 different fuel dealer chains within 3 miles of my home. All charge within 5 or 6 cents of eachother. As a sidenote to Skull and other non US or non Midwest members, virtually all fuel sellers in my area are 1 stop stores. They sell fast food, candy, chips(crisps for the UK denizens) beer, oil, some basic food supplies, cigarettes and condoms. They don't get the store traffic if you drive on by to the sign that advertises 5 cents cheaper on gas. On that same sidenote, can I assume the term "servos" refers to something similar to our "MiniMart"? Maybe these "Mini Marts" rate a separate thread.

Servos, Service stations is a left over from when the old petrol station was a service station in real terms. Had a garage with a couple of pumps and you could get service for your car when you went there. and you used to go there if you had problems with your car, you know they sold batteries and various sized liter containers of oil and such.

Yes gas stations, these days, over here are a small mini mart selling every thing from milk, tea, coffee, drinks pies sandwiches, bait, ice, and small items relating to things that may be needed for a car, 2 stroke oil fuel carry containers ect, ect.....................If your mini marts sell fuel then by all means they belong in this thread.

There is the odd servo that has a reduction in the price of fuel for short periods of time to attract some short term customers. Even a 4c reduction will have cars lining up and that was before all this madness....................But like someone mentioned in an earlier post, their local servo owner, has become a friend, checks out the opposition every day and if they have increased their price then so does he

How much do you think is the rise due to price gouging?

While that is a common sentiment, in my neck of the wood, it is not realistic. .

Servos over here are usually within a couple of cents between them. Drive into town and the ones that are usually a couple of cents dearer have deals with supermarkets. These deals are a rebate, (usually 4c), if you have a recite from that supermarket, when you have bought a set amount of groceries, Usually that is $30.00.

So you in effect are getting your fuel for 2c cheaper than the servos that look cheaper on the drive past.

I used to know a guy back in the 70’s who owned a gas station with a couple of garage bays. He told me at that time, that gas sales was a break even operation, he made his money selling tires, doing oil changes, and mechanical work. The gas station was mostly just to bring customers in.

I took my ‘77D out riding today, I pulled into a gas station and the pump I pulled up to showed a $125 sale from the previous customer! :eek: As I was putting 2 gallons in my bike, this guy walked behind me and said “You’re so lucky! “ Well…yes…yes I am. ;)

Lucky Bastard Comedy GIF by CBS

I used to know a guy back in the 70’s who owned a gas station with a couple of garage bays. He told me at that time, that gas sales was a break even operation, he made his money selling tires, doing oil changes, and mechanical work. The gas station was mostly just to bring customers in.
I wonder what a mini mart / gas station makes on a gallon of gas now a days probably not much
A bunch of the stations around here are pre pay or pay at the pump only you would think they would encourage you to come in the store :umm:
Oh yeah were at $3.93 a gallon as of this morning

When summer comes, and I'm towing my 28 ft. travel trailer around (average 8 mpg with "the rig"), I can't wait to see what my fuel bills look like! :yikes:

Average gas price for regular unleaded is $4.499. Sometimes that's the credit price and Cash price is a .10 less. I have seen $4.41 at some staions.

on the subject of price gouging its amazing how quick the servos put up their price and how slow they are to bring them down , around here lately the prices are going up day by day with no sign of any tankers filling them up .... on a plus side , high prices is a good reason to get off our arses and start using our bikes more instead of the cars etc ,

Stable at $3.95 or $3.99 here. My car fill went from mid $20s to $40+. I don't put a lot of miles on except gathering grandkids or chasing tools and parts for the tracker these days. 😎

Last edited:
Cheap energy benefits everyone including women, children and minorities.

Absolutely. Energy is the universal resource. In so much as when it is cheap and reliable and readily available then everything is correspondingly cheaper and more readily available.

I highly recommend Alex Epstein's book, The Moral Case for Fossil Fuels. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Moral-Case-Fossil-Fuels/dp/1591847443/

if you can't get it watch him debating the point at Google https://youtu.be/s6b7K1hjZk4

Dave

Back