Picking a rear wheel size

As well as this site having a good search function, you can also use Google to search just this site. Type into Google or your address bar....

site:xs650.com (space) (search words)

It will confine it's finding to just this site.

View attachment 200595
I did not know that…:thumbsup:

Hi guys. It’s been a while. The build sort of took a pause. I got pretty close to becoming homeless so I had to put projects aside. Things are picking up again and I’m starting to get motivated to finish up frame fab and get this at least to a rolling state. Not sure why I’m bumping this particular thread but it happened to pop up while googling Harley rear axle sizes lol.

Hi guys. It’s been a while. The build sort of took a pause. I got pretty close to becoming homeless so I had to put projects aside. Things are picking up again and I’m starting to get motivated to finish up frame fab and get this at least to a rolling state. Not sure why I’m bumping this particular thread but it happened to pop up while googling Harley rear axle sizes lol.
Hope things are going a little better for you now, lets see some pics of the build.

Bringing this back from the dead...

For those who've done the HD rear wheel with bearings swapped, did you need to true the wheel with any offset at all, or just dead straight? My buddy is about to lace up the wheel I snagged at a swap (it had broken spokes) and he's asking if I want any offset. Plan is to run the 11.5" HD rotor and the Mr. Lucky's sprocket. Tire size TBD (open to suggestion)

@RustiePyles you might be the most knowledgeable on this?

That
Bringing this back from the dead...

For those who've done the HD rear wheel with bearings swapped, did you need to true the wheel with any offset at all, or just dead straight? My buddy is about to lace up the wheel I snagged at a swap (it had broken spokes) and he's asking if I want any offset. Plan is to run the 11.5" HD rotor and the Mr. Lucky's sprocket. Tire size TBD (open to suggestion)

@RustiePyles you might be the most knowledgeable on this?
That depends on the tire you run. If you plan on running no wider a tire than the rim originally ran then you you shouldn't need any. As long as your sprockets line up you're good to go.

Mike if you still have the Yamaha wheel intact you can find any offset with a straightedge. I agree with RP you just got to make sure the sprockets line up. 6CE273DE-997A-4CDD-94CD-B303E2C2C226.jpeg

I know this is an old thread, but ole dad is finally putting together his hard tail xs (his exact first bike from when he was in the military) he’s not sure what size tire to run on the 16” rear wheel with a 19” front. I’ve got an 18” rear mine so I’m of no use in this case. Anybody got any tips or pictures of what they are running?

Back