Planting a small orchard.

Are they Chinese chesnuts or one of those resistant strains they're trying to develop?
I brought a chestnut seedling with me when I bailed from South Jersey back in '92. Found it along a parallel dirt road to the Garden State Parkway near the Tuckahoe Inn, growing beneath a well established tree. Probably a hybrid. I picked up a few more seedlings locally that are Chinese and again, what appear to be hybrids.

Back in Jersey, my G Grandfather planted an American variety in his yard about a hundred years ago but didn't have a cross pollinator. It has suffered the blight all these years but keeps coming up from its rootstock. Some years ago, a cousin was traveling through this area and made a stopover. I compelled him to take a seedling back east to be a crosspollinator for Pops tree. I expect to get some viable hybrid nuts any year now, 50/50 at least, once the seedling matures to be a crosspollinator.

They've done some good work trying to back cross for immunity from the blight but it's time consuming....lifetime consuming. Seven to ten years for a tree to reach maturity, then check its resistance, then breed for the American characteristics, over and over. Gene splicing would git her done in no time. There may be a battle brewing there.

From what I understand, the American variety has the smallest nuts though the sweetest. I have one known Chinese tree. The nuts are large, no fuzz on the nut shell, glossy dark brown almost black like a Buckeye, but are starchy when eaten raw. My hybrids are smaller, lighter in color with a bit of fuzz on the nut shell and are sweeter when eaten raw. Some of these hybrids show some blight from time to time, a dead branch here and there but they continue to thrive and produce. However, their growth characteristics and leaves are more like the Asian and European varieties than the American. Genetic testing would tell exactly what I have........ain't happening....lol

It's surprising how the chestnut factored into the economy of Appalachia and the things that happened as a direct result of the blight. One big thing was inability to keep porkers because people depended on chestnuts as free feed. Not to mention free food. Three out of four trees was a chestnut tree.

^
Yep, and a bit of a travesty was that the landowners were encouraged to harvest them all for timber as " the blight's gonna kill 'em" , thus any that might have had an immunity were gone in no time.

Now we have the emerald ash borer. 90+% of my ash are dead BUT there are some that haven't succumbed yet and there are hundreds and hundreds of seedlings coming up.

Mid August Update
Corn cobs filling out nicely; one earlier variety of potato vines starting to die off; turnips are suffering from some kind of bug, but garden sulphur powder seems to help; a few onions are bolting and the purslane continues to give the hoe a run for the money.
Fruit trees seem to have taken hold; all is well.
20180819_152605.jpg

I first heard about eating this weed not too long ago; have been well experienced in the edibility of "lambsquarter" and other items and have enjoyed it, maybe I should expand my horizons!

I first heard about eating this weed not too long ago; have been well experienced in the edibility of "lambsquarter" and other items and have enjoyed it, maybe I should expand my horizons!
Not a garden subject, but when I had to go on survival training back in the day, I expanded my horizons and never came back weighing less than I did at the beginning...

I love it! That’s a nice looking crop from a backyard garden!
Are you going to try and store some in the cold somehow? Or are there lots of mashed potatoes in your future?

Potatoes store very nicely in a dark, cool spot like a basement. Did it for years. Just brush the bulk of the dirt off, put them on a dry bed of something (straw or excelsior works best), make sure they get good air circulation and cover them lightly to keep the light away.

We'd harvest around this time of year and store them, have taters until Spring or later. They'd sprout some, but didn't get soft until nearly Summer.

I thought I had the garden all tucked away for the winter, but saw the plastic sheaths I bought in the spring to protect the trees still in the garage.
Grabbed them down and wound them around the trunks to try to keep
20181216_163400.jpg
the rodents from snacking on them under the snow drifts.
There, now I'll leave it be.

Back