PMA dramas

irristeve

Grow old disgracfully
Reaction score
Fitted a PMA to fix my charging drama's, had a couple of year's of trouble free charging but now the stator has died, been trying to buy a new one of Hugh's but can not complete the transaction. For some reason if you don't live in USA or Canada you can not enter your address, have tried Emailing etc. but so far no reply, any one else have this problem

There is a list of compatible stators on here some where. You might find one off that list locally.
Leo

Has Hugh gone on holiday, has he shut up shop, or is he only selling U S /Canada, perchased the PMA of him originally not even chasing warranty just want to go on his web site & buy a new one, how hard can it be, very hard if ya live in Austrlia

Here are the part numbers and motorcycles the stators fit:

MAKE SURE TO GET THE CORRECT PART NUMBERS FROM A STATOR!!! THIS LIST IS NOT 100% ACCURATE. CORRECT STATOR MEASUREMENTS SHOULD BE 103mm X 42mm X 20mm
YAMAHA (ESR080)

Honda CBR600 F1 86-90
Honda VF500 84-85
Kawasaki VN800 Vulcan 00-05
Kawasaki VN800 Classic 01-06
Kawasaki VN800 Drifter 01-05
Kawasaki ZL600 86-87
Kawasaki ZX600, ZX-6 Ninja, ZZR600 85-04 [!!NOT ZX6-R, ZX6-RR 98+!!]
Suzuki VS800 92-07
Suzuki VX800 90-93
Suzuki VZ800 97-04
Suzuki LT250 91-96
Suzuki LT4WD 91-96
Suzuki LT-F4WD 91-98
Yamaha XV250 Route66 88-90
Yamaha XT600 90-95

Personally, I'm not much for buying used electrical parts. They can't really be examined on their condition and there is not much of a guarantee that they will do their job in the long run. Unlike many types of motorcycle parts, electrical parts get old. But, it's your money, your bike, your choice.

Many of these are available on eBay Oz starting at AU56.94 with free shipping from the States for a new zx600 Kawasaki stator. There were some other choices at higher prices. There is quite a list of possibilities. With the prices I found, why not get new?

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_...Xzx600+stator.TRS0&_nkw=zx600+stator&_sacat=0

Use these search terms:

<name of part> pma stator

where <name of part> is one of the names on the list above.

Fitted a PMA to fix my charging drama's, had a couple of year's of trouble free charging but now the stator has died, been trying to buy a new one of Hugh's but can not complete the transaction. For some reason if you don't live in USA or Canada you can not enter your address, have tried Emailing etc. but so far no reply, any one else have this problem

It can take a couple days before he emails you back, just trust that he will..

Hey irristeve...maybe this will help you figure out your charging problem....

I bought one of Hugh's PMA kits in March of 2014. Late last summer the charging output became inconsistent and I had the visible signs of overheating that were discussed in a thread from early this year. (February...Stator wires getting so hot.....)

At the end of the thread Hugh explained that the stator problem was due to the type of solder that connected the yellow stator wires to the windings. The solder type used was incorrect and it was letting loose of the wires. When I removed my stator that was exactly what I found.

Hugh sent me a new stator along with a new flywheel. On this new unit the stator wires have crimps and the correct grade of solder. I see his website says that the PMA kits now have a five-year warrantee too.

Yeah...It was a pain in the ass when I was chasing the charging problem but I have no problem with Hugh whatsoever. From Hugh's perspective I can see how having bad solder start showing up on the manufactured parts was a problem that you just wouldn't see coming until it was on top of you. He dealt with it.

......XStretchified

Thanks to all that have replied, will pull the stator off this weekend, may be able to save it & save some buck's as well. When I got the PMA 2 1/2 years ago I was warned about how much heat these things made & was advised not to fit the Hugh's Hand built sticker as it covered the hole's that are there for cooling, he also checked the rotor for balance & had to drill a lot of indentation's in it to get it balanced right since then I have been telling other's how good these thing's are, I always ride with the head light on & always use the elecky leg to start it never had a problem, might try a washer behind the cover this time to let a bit of air in & heat out, not sure what would happen in heavy rain though. Hugh still needs to get his web site sorted as he may be missing a bit of trade the way it is now, take care all & ride safe

Back