PMA/Ignition System Upgrade

atom4488

XS650 Addict
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Greetings All,

I hate to dredge up such a long-running question, but after having read all the threads on the subject, I find myself without clear direction.

- 1976 XS650, doing an engine swap for a later TCI-based engine, but don't wish to retain the TCI because I intend to swap out the stock alternator for a PMA, based on Hugh's Banshee write-up of many years ago. The Banshee parts seem cheap (e-Bay) and readily available, so this seems to be straightforward.
- What is the current preferred option for an ignition system upgrade? Looking for best value/performance for the dollar. Want to avoid the Boyer system. I would not be adverse to using bits and bobs from other bikes to cobble together a reliable and affordable system retaining the points as the triggering system to trigger some form of CDI (am I asking too much here?). I have three engines to do, so would appreciate some clear alternative.

Always appreciate the knowledge and experience of the XS650 community!

Brgds,

IMHO, the upgrade is done with TCI based ignition. Do the Gonzo TCI swap and you'll be happy. My stock alternator and ignition has over 62,000 miles and 39 years on it. In that time, I've replaced brushes and rewound the rotor once. I'm confident I can take the bike anywhere.

Please accept my apology in advance if you didn't want that information.

Hi Jetmechmarty,

Appreciate all input... I'll need to see if the TCI systems that I have are serviceable. My current points-based system is giving me weak fire. The other bikes in the fleet (non XS650) all have PMA's/CDI's. The Banshee PMA just seems so clean and easy. Was hoping to find a simple CDI solution to complete the upgrade.

Brgds,

Back