Pocket Rocket - Build Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lester & Carbon is dead on! New rear is a 3.50 k70. Front I plan to run the 3.25 or Avon speed masters. I decided to ditch the distanzia after hearing all the cons of running a front tire out back.

Got a hub I plan to get powder coated black and run 21 inchers up front. Should make for an interesting look.

Lester & Carbon is dead on! New rear is a 3.50 k70. Front I plan to run the 3.25 or Avon speed masters. I decided to ditch the distanzia after hearing all the cons of running a front tire out back.

Got a hub I plan to get powder coated black and run 21 inchers up front. Should make for an interesting look.

jdizon, could you shed some light on the cons you have been told.... I have always wounderd.
Some tires are good to go as front or rear as well, usually marked F/R in description.

Flaring looks REEEAAAL nice. Scoop is cool too but I think you could fabricate one thats is a bit smaller or trim this one if possible... just what my eyes are telling me.... its nice now too.

Lester
:D

Thanks Lester! Scoop definitely needs to be trimmed down some if I plan to use it.

The k70 is universal so I can use them front/rear. Some info I found on google. I originally found a thread on chopcult going over cons but can't remember the link.

http://www.motorcycletiresmaniac.com/front-vs-rear-motorcycle-tires.html

Rear

Power The rear tire has a flatter profile, to provide the majority of the acceleration and stability for your bike, and wouldn't handle as well if put on the front.
Weight The rear tire carries the majority of the weight of the bike, calling for special design elements to keep you upright & safe at all times.
Lean Since the rear tire does not turn, it is subject to the lean of the motorcycle. This requires a sturdier tire with a flatter profile to accommodate this requirement.

Front

Braking The front tire provides up to 80% of the braking power for your motorcycle. It's shaped to provide this, rather than acceleration like the rear tire
Turning The most obvious function of the front tire is turning right & left. A front tire is more triangular shaped for better handling. You would notice this if you were to try to put a rear tire on the front, as they aren't shaped for turning and you'd have a hard time turning your bike properly.
Tread Because the front tire's main purpose is braking, the tread isn't going to be as thick. This would become very obvious if you were to run a front tire on the rear of your motorcycle. You would notice that the tread would wear down very quickly due to the thinner tread on a front-specific tire.

Thanks Lester! Scoop definitely needs to be trimmed down some if I plan to use it.

The k70 is universal so I can use them front/rear. Some info I found on google. I originally found a thread on chopcult going over cons but can't remember the link.

http://www.motorcycletiresmaniac.com/front-vs-rear-motorcycle-tires.html

Rear

Power The rear tire has a flatter profile, to provide the majority of the acceleration and stability for your bike, and wouldn't handle as well if put on the front.
Weight The rear tire carries the majority of the weight of the bike, calling for special design elements to keep you upright & safe at all times.
Lean Since the rear tire does not turn, it is subject to the lean of the motorcycle. This requires a sturdier tire with a flatter profile to accommodate this requirement.

Front

Braking The front tire provides up to 80% of the braking power for your motorcycle. It's shaped to provide this, rather than acceleration like the rear tire
Turning The most obvious function of the front tire is turning right & left. A front tire is more triangular shaped for better handling. You would notice this if you were to try to put a rear tire on the front, as they aren't shaped for turning and you'd have a hard time turning your bike properly.
Tread Because the front tire's main purpose is braking, the tread isn't going to be as thick. This would become very obvious if you were to run a front tire on the rear of your motorcycle. You would notice that the tread would wear down very quickly due to the thinner tread on a front-specific tire.

Thanks for the info djizon, Sort of logic really... well this is just proof that the universal tires are a comprimize of the information above... LOL
I'm looking at universals as well.... GREAT! :eek:

Scribbling fairing tank design ideas.

full

Photo chopped Fork cover and peanut tank from a triumph I found online. I like the triumph logo and plan to put something similar on my tank to say Pocket Rocket, Rocket or Rocketeer :) Or yahama lol! We'll see.

full

That looks good jdizon! That will look classy.

Thanks John! I'm about a week or 2 off from sending her off for powder-coating. Waiting for brake stay mount tabs and rear disk caliper so I can mount and test fit the new rear brake it I got.

Brembo caliper and ebc-pro disk rotor. So much lighter than the stock xs rotors.

Picture of the rotor and the disk brake stay rod.

full

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back