Wanted - Points ignition, everything from advance rod to points

leonard

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have a '80 xs650 and charging system and ignition are all bad. I'm thinking of a PMA for charging but if I can get ignition from a points type ignition bike reasonable I would use that.

You can get a rewound rotor and a diy reg/rec for about $125-140 and your charging system is good for another 40 yrs. What's a PMA gonna cost?
There's a replacement Suzuki GN250 box to replace the TCI box to fix your iggy for about 20 bucks.
$150ish gets you back on the road vs what for a PMA alone?

Retrofitting points to a TCI motor can be troublesome. Breaker point camshafts were finished on the inside to accept the bushings that support the ignition rod and the labyrinth seals that retain grease to lube same. That finishing step wasn't needed for the TCI system, so it was skipped, and several guys have broken the ends of their camshafts by trying to force bushings where they didn't want to go. Test the fit first and clean up with a paper roll on a rotary tool if needed. Or get the Vape system from Hoos Racing. It's Czech made (not Chiwanese junk) and a real bargain, and you'll be supporting one of the good guys who answers his own phone and provides tech support after the sale.

Jim's rewinds are a high quality bargain too; I prefer the OE excited field alternator to PMA conversions, all things being equal. The GN250 ignition does look interesting; might try it if my Probe ignition ever fails.

You can get a rewound rotor and a diy reg/rec for about $125-140 and your charging system is good for another 40 yrs. What's a PMA gonna cost?
There's a replacement Suzuki GN250 box to replace the TCI box to fix your iggy for about 20 bucks.
I'll check that out too, I'm thinking I can find some used parts some where.

Does the connector plug for the suzuki fit my plug or would I have to figure out how to wire it? Also where do I get the rotor re-wound?

Does the connector plug for the suzuki fit my plug or would I have to figure out how to wire it?
That's all been figured out for you. It's a big thread, but slog through this. It has all the wiring info you need. I'll add the wiring diagram here, but you still need to work your way through that thread to understand the mod.
Also where do I get the rotor re-wound?
I rewind 'em. Have a read here. Follow the troubleshooting to make sure it's your rotor that's bad... comment 3 I think? :umm:

Pigtail Wiring V2.png

Back