Points ignition on a rephased 720?

Alberta Dave

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Just got my rephased xs big bore 750 up and running runs great no issues.
How ever there is always that little voice in my head that is asking questions.
Im running a pandemonium ignition in it, no issues so far. Wondering if there is a set up for a points out there that would work on a rephased 270.
It seams like there is no information out there about that.
If anybody knows something about that please let me know.
Appreciate it.

Do some math and adjust it.

If you can go so far as to built that, then you can do just a bit more and make it fire at 270. It’s not far off as it, possibly can be made as is and still work.

Would quite possibly be easier starting with a blank backing and mounting points to that.

Last edited:
Wondering if there is a set up for a points out there that would work on a rephased 270.
A points backing plate wouldn't be too difficult to fabricate. You might have to use a set of points that take less space than stock ones - that are spaced 180* around the cam. Perhaps a set of DT1 (p/n 214-) points would allow them to be arranged @ 270* (basically 9 & 12 O'clock). Otherwise, one would have to fashion a dual lobe points cam.
214 points.jpg

Did Daniel relocate the trigger magnet for the R Cyl on your 270* set-up?

A points backing plate wouldn't be too difficult to fabricate. You might have to use a set of points that take less space than stock ones - that are spaced 180* around the cam. Perhaps a set of DT1 (p/n 214-) points would allow them to be arranged @ 270* (basically 9 & 12 O'clock).
Wouldn't the points spacing be 135 degrees for 270? (Or 225 degrees for 450, depending on how you look at it)

Back