Poor running after rewiring...?

xsbean

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey fellas, recently just finished wiring in a brand new harness. Before I completed the wiring I wired the ignition etc. in just to get the bike running, it ran really well and I had it tuned, timed and carbs synced to almost perfect. Throttle response great even in the cold and all the way through the rev range. I had it out numerous times and nothing had changed. Since then I completed the wiring, all lights indicators, sensors, failure lights etc worked fine. When I went to start it today I got higher revs with choke on dropping shortly after starting and then absolutely no throttle response, instead it would die when I moved the throttle, almost as though the timing was way off. I'm wondering if the current draw from all the other accessories is too much and I'm getting a delayed or weak spark? I'm running Boyer Bransden ignition and an XS charge PMA. Apart from that everything else is stock aside from the removal of the starter motor and this bike being kick only.

Appreciate the help, thanks lads.

First thought --weak spark .. Poor Grounding ( Boyer ) or poor charging ..would be a first check
And then upside Power feed + 12V on Coil and Boyer Box -- then spark plugs

Thanks for the help fellas, really appreciate it. I have found the problem, however I'm almost too mortified to share it I figured I'd reply to this thread just to give everyone a laugh. I recently deleted the carb boots with air barbs on my bike, meaning the petcocks are no longer vacuum operated and only supply fuel when the tap is in the prime position. Yesterday I forgot I had done this and the taps were simply in the on position... No fuel. Tried again today, bike ran like a dream!

Just be aware that the Prime position pulls off the Reserve tap, so if/when you run out of fuel, you're going to be really out, lol.

Just be aware that the Prime position pulls off the Reserve tap, so if/when you run out of fuel, you're going to be really out, lol.
And your sucking all the crap in the bottom of your tank into your carbs. It's easy to add barbs to your carb mounts

Back