Port Wilunga boat caves.

toglhot

First class butcher.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Port Willunga is just North of Aldinga Beach where I Ilive. Once upon a time it was the biggest port south of Adelaide. Slate, bran, flour and wheat being exported from the area. The jetty was functional from around 1853, but commercial use ceased in the early 20th century. The jetty then being used by fishermen, residents and holidaymakers. A number of storms damaged the jetty beyond repair and it gradually fell to pieces. Fishermen excavated caves in the cliffs along the beach in which to store their boats, presumably around the same time as the jetty was built.

Now, it's just a beach on the southern fringes of suburban Adelaide, the caves only used by people to shelter from the sun. There is a shipwreck off the coast called the Star of Greece which divers dive on, not much of it left though. An upmarket restaurant on the beach at Willunga now bears the name.

Willunga is an aboriginal word meaning place of green trees!

The video ends rather abruptly, I forgot to insert the memory card, so the footage was recorded on the internal storage of the drone. Strangely, the onboard storage is 128g, but will only store about 4.5 minutes of footage. Whereas the 256g card will hold over 30 minutes.

I will do another video and attempt to film the inside of the boat caves. I'm getting better at navigating the mini 3, but I don't think Quantas will be offering me a job anytime soon.

Last edited:
Back