preserving chrome

FLEA

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
having bought a royal enfield 500 classic im changing a few things , the first being the muffler as its big heavy and highly restrictive the bikes only got 2500 kls on it so the chrome is in very good cond for indian chrome .i want to keep it that way while putting the muffler into long term storage ,,,whats the best way to do this .. thanks

I overheard a conversation at a bike show,the up shot was dust and dampness combined do for chrome. Exclude those and you should be good.

I overheard a conversation at a bike show,the up shot was dust and dampness combined do for chrome. Exclude those and you should be good
trouble is im in the tropics , was thinking a coating of something and then wrapped in cloth and then plastic as probably store it for 5-10 yrs , dont want to out lay to much as probably a 1 time useage ... would wd40 do the trick

Surely in your climate you'll have no corrosion issues, just let it breathe so any moisture doesn't build up inside.

Since the silencer has already done 2K, I'd neutralise the insides, which will likely be mild steel.
Bit of a bugger if you take it out of storage and the insides have rotted out.

Surely in your climate you'll have no corrosion issues, just let it breathe so any moisture doesn't build up inside.
lol .. i bought a set of 2-1 pipes from mikes yrs ago , being mikes double checked every thing when they arrived . 6 months later pullled them out and their was small amounts of surface rust from where i had handled them without wiping them down before putting them back in the box , otherwise with the hi humidity things do surface rust especially if wrap in plastic only

lol .. i bought a set of 2-1 pipes from mikes yrs ago , being mikes double checked every thing when they arrived . 6 months later pullled them out and their was small amounts of surface rust from where i had handled them without wiping them down before putting them back in the box , otherwise with the hi humidity things do surface rust especially if wrap in plastic only
Wax, Wax, Wax!!! Carnnuba is my choice.

trouble is im in the tropics , was thinking a coating of something and then wrapped in cloth and then plastic as probably store it for 5-10 yrs , dont want to out lay to much as probably a 1 time useage ... would wd40 do the trick
Wd40 is mostly solvents. I don’t know how much long term corrosion protection it can provide. I do use it for over the winter storage of garden tools like my hedge trimmer.

Lanotec lanolin oil. Cheaper by the 5 liter, you will find a use for it up here. Get a good quality spray bottle. Spray inside the muffler as well and shake/turn it around, upside down to coat the inside then wrap in anything the moisture and dust can't get through to it.

Lanotec lanolin oil. Cheaper by the 5 liter, you will find a use for it up here. Get a good quality spray bottle. Spray inside the muffler as well and shake/turn it around, upside down to coat the inside then wrap in anything the moisture and dust can't get through to it.
forgot about lanolin , good idea as still got a lot in a spray can from another job , what do u think .. spray then wrap in cotton cloth and then in plastic

Personally I don’t like the idea of wrapping it up air tight. For me in our climate, I would run a hot air source through it to dry out any moisture on the inside and then spray it with your corrosion preventative fluid of choice. Then I’d cover them up and let the sir breathe through it. Perhaps a different approach if you’re in a humid climate.

AND THE WINNER IS ,,,,,,,,,🎬.......SKULL..... thanks for all the ideas but because of our climate iv decided to go with skulls method as hes just down the rd where its a bit more humid plus got a can of lanolin already ,, again thanks for the input as havnt stored any chrome long term ... and on that note the stupidity goes on ,first the lowrider seat i ordered from india came without the brackets that were advertised with it so a month went by before the replacements turned up, then when i went to fit the free flowing muffler ,, no gasket (that was advertised with it) rang up local re dealer ,, yep no prob but when i received it in the mail ,,, wrong gasket,,, they sent the copper header pipe one (after i told them 3 times it was the one between the muffler and header pipe) rang again ,,, sorry about that but we dont have the correct one in stock ,, going to take 2 weeks to get it to me AHHHHH somebody up there doesnt want me to ride the bloody thing ,, stuff it orig muffler going back on till the next 2 weeks ,,, luckily did distroy the old gasket trying to get it out

Back