Press and disassembly specifications to rephrase a crankshaft and Yamahas recommendation for rejection?

Thanks
So we are all clear, the heiden "big fin" the one MikesXS sells and the one I linked above all came from the same vendor.
I "think" the pistons come from the same source Crusin' image uses and they have a long track record of good performance/ longevity.

I'll take back same piston make as cruis'n image
some pics of a yamahaxs650 big bore kit.
KIMG2767.JPGKIMG2768.JPGKIMG2770.JPGKIMG2771.JPGKIMG2769.JPGKIMG2772.JPGKIMG2773.JPG

See this thread for some background on these kits. https://www.xs650.com/threads/big-bore-big-block-kit-i-just-found-on-a-new-source.59061/
Full disclosure; I've got one of these installed in a motor I've never fired up and one on the shelf (spoken for).

I'll take back same piston make as cruis'n image
some pics of a yamahaxs650 big bore kit.
View attachment 231475View attachment 231476View attachment 231477View attachment 231479View attachment 231480View attachment 231482View attachment 231483

See this thread for some background on these kits. https://www.xs650.com/threads/big-bore-big-block-kit-i-just-found-on-a-new-source.59061/
Full disclosure; I've got one of these installed in a motor I've never fired up and one on the shelf (spoken for).
Beautiful pieces, I used a magnifier, Are the pins hollow or solid? They look like Venolia pistons, really nice! Is the block a Hieden with the deep sleeves? Do you do the crankshaft rephase yourself? I would like to find another 447 case and trans. I used my last one , a 79 on my bobber that I did as a 360 degree and it turned out well. I filled and raised the ports and used a Bertaut cam that was good for an imitation 256 cam. I got it down to 380 lbs and it was quick as molten silver. I put bronze bushings in the swingarm and ran a neat brace and ran coil overs that connected where I cut the hoop. I wasn’t going for a hard tail look it was a nice proportioned bike and with the forks neck bearings it really was a carver that matched the torque and it made and honest 58 hp and 62 ft lbs. Flat curve on the torque, 2800-6800 the dyno guy called that freakish. And man it was really neat to ride! I promised my wife I would sell it after my concussion and sight loss but my son and father in law called it a menace, the both did the ton without realizing it just running to 7500 through the gears. My sons pocket GPS recorded 125. He said was he surprised because it felt like 90. I didn’t make anything on it. I built bikes to ride and they happened to look good. You don’t make money that way. Good welds, renting a frame jig to set it up and paying a boilermaker to tig it so it looks original. Some of those bikes they build on TV make me cringe. I knew Indian Larry’s chain bike was going to kill him. Too many flex moments and shitty welds. That was a loss that should have brought the NHSTA down on these jack legs. And what the Tuttles did to that Brough Superior pissed me completely off. That is a nice kit. I hope my son gets the bug,!

pins are hollow with the ends bored bigger than the center.
Same block as heiden uses but heiden puts in different sleeves for the real big bore motors.
The motor that's built is a 360.
I have a 750 that was a Bob Bertaut built motor. Don't know it's specs, in the bike when I bought it.
This was the build sheet but something about the cam specs is a head scratcher.
build1.JPGbuild2.jpg
I also have a 750 big bore set for a 256 motor that's sleeves in the stock cylinder and wisco pistons, also aftermarket rods. It will need a few parts ordered, exchanged, the pistons are 81mm the bore 80mm sump'n like that.
If you wonder why I have all this crap stuff see my avatar, LOL
also have a couple 72 project bikes. ;^()

and one of the oldest XS-1's still in existence...
You ever do any research on how many others that old are out there?
we got into a low number "pissing contest" :laugh2: in another group, the other guys were impressed. LOL
A Norwegian who had several low number XS1s PM'd, he'd never heard of one that low.
Many years ago I was tempted to bid on KZ1300 #0003 in Kansas. needed some partz, probably should have gone for it, be a bux bike now. Think it gaveled at $3500

2 currently, 1 has a title.
Poetry in motion, sitting still! Those bikes are fetching stupid money, I can’t imagine why? LOL 😂 I’m really sorry I sold mine! In 1982 you could not but a new rectifier if you can imagine that. I lost charge so I replaced the brushes, started it up and 1/2 second it died. I could get continuity through the battery and the charging circuit but none past the rectifier I did a jumper and it started u p, 14V at the jumper. Yanked it and it died. The points sure were clean, I considered a ballast from a Dodge I had , but I checked it and it was a 3 V buffer. I always wondered if the bike would have run ballast ed down to 9-9.5V . That bike ran so good and it was just right in every way after new fluids, shocks, tires and fork oil. Man , would it have run on 9.3V, could I have put a ballast resistor in? Someone tell me, I just gots to know?

Poetry in motion, sitting still! Those bikes are fetching stupid money, I can’t imagine why? LOL 😂 I’m really sorry I sold mine! In 1982 you could not but a new rectifier if you can imagine that. I lost charge so I replaced the brushes, started it up and 1/2 second it died. I could get continuity through the battery and the charging circuit but none past the rectifier I did a jumper and it started u p, 14V at the jumper. Yanked it and it died. The points sure were clean, I considered a ballast from a Dodge I had , but I checked it and it was a 3 V buffer. I always wondered if the bike would have run ballast ed down to 9-9.5V . That bike ran so good and it was just right in every way after new fluids, shocks, tires and fork oil. Man , would it have run on 9.3V, could I have put a ballast resistor in? Someone tell me, I just gots to know?
You mean I could have just put that ballast on there and gone on? I am either a genius savant or an absolute idiot ! Or both. I still reallydream of being in the wind just rolling through the sweeping curves of the Ozarks going along 65 mph in the wind and I wake up. It had a musical sound and at 65 there was no vibration. I had pulled the 256 original engine and bored it to 703ccs did a good 3 angle valve job on it, the lower end was beautiful so put the next size in and put it back together even reused the cam chain and make my own gaskets for what wasn’t in the top end kit , got any any and all filters required and screens clean pistons in to the correct thrust and even used Spirolox recommended by Shell Thuet along with a set of racing piston pins hollow and light and perfect for Spirolox and replacement legal 3 fork pistons. He claimed that it literally lightened the weight of rotating mass by the weight of both pistons. Got it together and even used BS38s with diaphragms from Shell. My it was one running and smooth tamale! I did it in a weekend by ordering everything, pulling it to the bottom end Friday afternoon and cleaned everything and had dropped the block and head off Friday. I had my parts. Picked up the block and I did the valves myself, those ports were huge, I left them alone and tested the springs, right on the money and onshe went and I rode it to work Sunday afternoon, which meant using the lights that night. Worked fine. But I really could have ballasted it in a dry place with air circulation? That bike was really amazingly good!

I also decked the base and top of the block and the head, just enough to get them clean. Calculated the CR at 9.25:1, I used thinner gaskets too. I will cry myself to sleep tonight. That is the ultimate Napoleon being stopped at the gate to the city for the want of a nail story.

My ballast on the Dodgevan that had a 318 I wanted for my 66 Coronet had a diode that contverted the AC from the alternator to inline DC at the ballast. I got to thinking, heck a diode alone would have been between the link to put between alternator and regulator to convert the AC toDC if the regulator was working. But as it was I could have used that 1 piece to replace both.

Back