Product Review: FXC Brake Light Strobe Controllers.

Jim

Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I was out and about earlier this year, stopped at a light, when I heard that dreaded squealing of tires. Yup... soccer mom on her phone, which by the way is perfectly legal here in the great state of Missouri. I always leave the bike in gear at a light for just such occasions. Headed for the curb and when I looked back, it was a tossup as to whether me and the bike would have fit in the space she left 'tween her and the car in front. Fast forward 'bout 10 minutes and the same damn thing happened again... a kid on his phone... which ain't legal. So... time to do something about this.

Found this FXC Brake Strobe Controller on Amazon. Actually it's a pack of 2. Has the Amazon's Choice banner and generally gets good reviews. For ten bucks to my door, what do I have to lose.

From Amazon.png

They come packaged in individual esd bags... which is a bit overkill in my opinion but... whatever. Shows a bit of class. I was gonna make this a how-to, but it really is a no brainer install. Black and red in and black and red out.... clearly marked. All wires were pre-stripped and each came with a double sided tape pad... 3M at that. Not wanting to hack the wiring on the SG, I ordered a tail/brake light connector from Vintage Connections to pigtail 'em. There's another ten bucks.

strobe boxes.jpg

The 80SG has 2 tail/brake lights so Yamaha used a 6 pin connector. 1 pin each for the tail lights, 1 pin each for the brake lights and 2 ground pins. Found the brake light power (yellow wires) and pinned the red wires there. The blacks went to blacks and added 2 blue wires for the tail light... making a pigtail of it. connected everything up and stuck 'em to the plastic panel that sits between the seat and the light assy. I suppose I could have just used one of 'em and split it out to both brake light pins, but I kinda' like the redundancy that comes from each one driving it's own light. If one fails, I still have a brake light.

strobe boxes installed.jpg

They work great. Time will tell how robust they are, but they work as advertised. 4 quick flashes followed by 4 long flashes then steady. Didn't affect the brightness in the least. I like it:D

Here's a quick video. Not sure why my camera shows 'em orange, they really are red.

Last edited:
I like it! I have had some sort of flashing brake light on most of my bike, but have never done it on my 650’s.
Your tail light looks bright, are they LED’s?

I like it! I have had some sort of flashing brake light on most of my bike, but have never done it on my 650’s.
Your tail light looks bright, are they LED’s?
Yeah... LED's and yes, very bright. Though apparently not bright enough for soccer moms and idjut kids. :rolleyes:
I'll see if I can find a link.

Bought a pair and used ‘em up last year. One on the XS and one on the water buffalo. I think they're a great idea. Think I’ll order more for the Ducati.

Bought them a couple of years ago for $9.99/2, now same vendor wants $14.99/2, another is selling $8.88/2 while another @ $86.00/1. All appear to be the same (physical look). Just buy the inexpensive ones?

Last edited:
Looked for this for a buddy so I thought I'd update it.
Commin' up on 3 yrs now and still works as advertised. :geek:

Back