Product review, self soldering heat shrink connectors

It's been a long time, but I'm a NASA trained solderer. Naked butt splice, baby!
Not a lot of water, road salt etc in space. He insisted on soldering because of corrosion. Not saying he was anal about it but if he caught you not soldering a connection you were fired on the spot. His shop, his way. We fixed hundreds and hundreds of cars because of non-soldered splices.
Different industries different methods. Nothing is universal.

Today I went back to old school. What I typically do is splay the ends of the wire, push them together and then twist in opposite directions.
6F5E4105-2317-4D72-9803-65F946725AA8.jpeg

Soldered,
79945011-3D34-4CC1-BBBC-7C62767435D1.jpeg

And sleeved. Rock solid baby! :thumbsup:
BC2C85A6-0281-4D3F-95AC-05121CF88653.jpeg

Is that heat shrink with the hot melt glue liner? I have had the non-glue heat shrink were when I took it apart years later and found water inside,

Nope, standard heat shrink. My bike never sees rain, or even a hose. :laugh2:

View attachment 200142
Good capillary action on the wires, looks cold in the center. It should work!

Thanks, yeah it flowed good, I did get a little heavy with the solder.

Is that heat shrink with the hot melt glue liner? I have had the non-glue heat shrink were when I took it apart years later and found water inside,
Water is a great conductor, shouldn't be a problem as long as it stays in the connector :whistle:. I always top off my but splices before every ride, the water keeps em cool.

For heat shrink crimp connectors I buy the good ones from Wurth or reputable automotive parts supplier. I bought a bunch from Amazon and the metal portion must be Chinesium - very soft and I didn’t like the resulting connection. I don’t use a ton of these so I don’t mind paying a little extra. When I really care about the connection, I solder then apply heat shrink tubing with adhesive. I found the Harbour Freight marine grade heat shrink tubing to be of decent quality. Heavy wall with a good amount of adhesive.

I never knew wiring could be so complicated.

As a "young-un" worked at a defense plant building wire harnesses for AWAKS radar planes and Navy destroyers, then at Johns Hopkins APL doing satellite soldering components on PC boards. Yeah, complicated, can't do service calls on a satellite. Lots of women though, sure got an education

Back