Product reviews; National Cycle Street Shield EX & Gears brand saddlebags

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Bought this used and had buffed out some scratches on my big slow speed buffing wheels with plexiglass compound. Needed to put 150 miles on today and it looked like rain. I had only 45 minutes before I had to leave but thought heck I'll try to mount it. Had it on and ready to ride in 10 minutes flat. I took tools along in case it moved but it was rock solid, never budged a smidge. I did have to improve the position, I had it a touch off center but that was on me and it was easy to adjust. On the XS650 it is fully below eye height. I have it angled back pretty good and the wind hit about mid helmet. Since i ride with a full face that is great compromise. It did increase wind noise slightly from no shield, there's a bit of turbulence at the helmet sides. Great addition, amazingly easy on off and I like the looks, two thumbs up. Mailman did you install this windshield?

Gears Saddle bags; I just got them, seem good so far, lots of straps , mounting options, expandable. Plastic panels back and U shaped for front, bottom back. The opening is a double zipper with a combined pull bar to operate both simultaneously, has velcro at rear and snap lock straps across the top to keep from overloading the zips. Bought at Performance Cycle in Madison WI $90, Also includes rain covers, probably best used as rain liners. Includes 6 straps with a sewn double loop on one end to aid mounting to bike. several cam locks sewn to bags to make quick work of cinching the straps. Two main top straps are held together with velcro for easy width adjustment and a third top strap between the two mains has a double d ring cinch (I ran the third strap under the seat.) the bags have elastic strap loops to store extra strap length.
I will prolly make (or find LOL) a couple aluminum straps to hang from rear fender mounts to keep bags from "tucking in" at rear. pretty much always a saddle bag issue. These do have a cross strap at front bottom which will probably keep that from happening. But this is a good place to use a belt AND suspenders.
currently mounted "throw over" style will prolly do an under seat mount also and compare

DSCN0113.JPG DSCN0112.JPG
DSCN0109.JPG

DSCN0115.JPG DSCN0114.JPG DSCN0117.JPG
The shield here https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/national-cycle-street-shield-ex-windshield
Found gears mini saddle bags at Dennis Kirk similar or the same. https://www.denniskirk.com/gears/mi...m_medium=mini-saddle&utm_campaign=youtube_utm

Last edited:
Gotta add on windshield mounting; I have aftermarket headlight ears on Madness and bare fork tubes 'tween the triples so if you have the chrome stock ears, mounting may be a bit trickier. I think the included hose clamps are long enough to make it around the stock fork covers but worth the warning I guess.
DSCN0111.JPG

That’s a nice looking set up Gary, I like those bags, and the windshield fits good too.

Mailman did you install this windshield?

No, but I have certainly given that shield a close look before, it was very highly rated. I’m happy to hear it works good.

I have had two handlebar mounted shields, one was a Memphis Shades Deuce, and the other is the Givi I have now.
E3593C87-7EF3-44AF-BE33-3DC762EB161F.jpeg
D4EC9F9F-506E-4368-AC25-0AED20C2BEE1.jpeg

Edit: I just read your post above, it’s worth noting that the Memphis Shade and the Givi only mount to the handlebars and have no lower mounts. There is a trade off with that arrangement though, they move a little more.

One more observation since this is a windshield review. On the Memphis Shade windshield it was pretty tall and kept the wind off of your body, but it had terrible buffeting at helmet level, enough to blur your vision at highway speeds.
The Givi , for my height at least, strikes a perfect balance of coverage. It takes the blast off of your body but leaves your helmet ( I also wear a full face ) in clean air, I get no buffeting at all.

Those bags look a lot like ones I got from Wal Mart years ago. They work well. Not the capacity of some bag but easy to take off and put on. Once the straps are snugged up they just unsnap from the bags and you can take them with you. Like when traveling light you can just unsnap and in the hotel room they go.
I also ordered a tail bag to match. Used it to carry lunch to work. Get to work just unsnap the straps and off to work it went. At end of day snap the straps and off you go.
Leo

Love those National Cycle shields! I used one on my Honda Nighthawk back in the '80s when riding the Blue Ridge and Shenandoah Park roads, A friend put one on his BMW R90 for the trip and it's still on that bike!.........And Performance Cycle in Madison? Is Bill Whisenant still there? Lotsa memories from living in Sun Prairie!!!!!!!!!!!!

Performance Cycle in Madison? Is Bill Whisenant still there? Lotsa memories from living in Sun Prairie!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bill passed on last year. Think it was prostate cancer. Performance Cycle seems to be holding it's own. Kind of a co-op by the mechanics that work there?

Back