Programmable advance TCI Replacement

2XSive

At least one screw loose behind the handle bars
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
One thing I enjoy on my Harley is the ability to program the timing curve with my computer. It got me researching this as a possibility (as I know others have) for the XS. I ran across this product online and can't help but wonder why it wouldn't work for our 650s? What say ye experts? https://transmic.fr/2022/04/18/tci-v11/

Hmm....off top of my head, i'd have some concern that the OEM field coil rotor might produce too much interference through stock pick-up. P/U output required (3-30VAC) I think is within parameter. I have a G model with good stock ign. May be a candidate to try

One thing I enjoy on my Harley is the ability to program the timing curve with my computer. It got me researching this as a possibility (as I know others have) for the XS. I ran across this product online and can't help but wonder why it wouldn't work for our 650s? What say ye experts? https://transmic.fr/2022/04/18/tci-v11/
I'm thinkin' it would work. For 75 Euros.... roughly a hundred bucks (including software), looks pretty promising.
You thinking about getting one Larry?

I'm thinkin' it would work. For 75 Euros.... roughly a hundred bucks (including software), looks pretty promising.
You thinking about getting one Larry?
Thanks guys. Am thinking about it for sure.....if one could buy a reliable programmable crank fired iggy for $100USD and make it plug and play on the TCI years, and adapt it to work on the older points bikes, sure seems like a no brainer. Prudence dictates a a bit more research on company/product/service background, given that it appears to be relatively new. Think I'll inquire further unless someone else beats me to it.

Reading through the setup and it seems straight forward. What is the voltage output on stock TCI pickups on our XS's?

Attachments

• Setup_IgnitionBox_TCIv11r4c0.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 119
$85 Euros shipped from France, USD close to parity. Ordered 1am (need to check email lol)

Thanks for moving this thread Gary! Sorry for the headache. Can you post the fleabay link? Couldn't find it off-hand.

F'ck they sent homework!

Hello,

Yam XS650 is a 2 cyl. 4 stk. According to Wiki it's a 360° crankshaft.

Right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strai..._engine_with_different_crank_shaft_angles.gif

TCI has only ONE igntion coil output. A jumbo coil/twin coil can be attached that fire the 2 cyl at the same time (wasted spark)

Have you read

https://transmic.fr/wp-content/fichiers/doc_cylinders_strokes.pdf too?

Best regards,

Th

Le 11/08/2022 à 07:08, Transmic CDI a écrit :

> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

> New customer order

> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

>

> You’ve received the following order from ol:

>

> [ORDER #] (11 AUGUST 2022)

>

> TCI v11-T (#skutciv11-t) X 1 = 68,50EUR

>

>

> ==========

>

> Subtotal: 68,50EUR

> Shipping: 12,50EUR via Tracking <250g

> Payment method: PayPal

> Total: 81,00EUR

> Note: 1980 YAMAHA XS650 TCI

I let him know the answers to that in my first email (360 degree, single p/u, wasted spark, model years w/points vs TCI, etc.) If this works, he could be opening up quite the sales opportunity I would imagine.

The fact that they sent you homework when they could have just as easily taken your money and run... impresses the hell outta me.
...and yeah, I went through all their parameters last night. Our XS is absolutely a good candidate.

I don't regulary use my kill switch, just turn off the ignition switch. Looking at the wiring diagram, + is not switched. Do you think it would be ok to have power switched on and off while leaving the kill line open?

I don't regulary use my kill switch, just turn off the ignition switch. Looking at the wiring diagram, + is not switched. Do you think it would be ok to have power switched on and off while leaving the kill line open?
I'd guess they just left out the ignition switch for an easily read diagram (simplicity's sake). It shows the box and coil powered all the time. A means to shut them off is gonna be mandatory or your battery could die every few hours.

Last edited:
Why not use the kill switch? It is unlikely to wear out. On all my bikes, I always stop the engine using the kill switch (2 Ducatis, RD350, XS650) If anything, using the switch may prevent problems.

I think it'll wire right in OEM harness @ TCI without modifying Ign + circuit. My '80 (tracker) is rewired per my design, but same after fuse.

I don't regulary use my kill switch
I'm thinking that is a TRUE kill switch wire, grounding an internal circuit. We have "engine stop switches" that interrupt +12 to the coil.
You could wire it to the "7th" wire, black/white on an 82-83.

Yup....

Setup Mode
1) Turn the Kill Switch ON (blue wire connected to ground) PRIOR to power on the ignition box.
2) Power on the ignition box with a 12v battery.
When the ignition box detects that the kill switch is already grounded, it turns into SETUP Mode.
3) The Blue Led inside the box blinks 3 times then flash every 5 seconds.
4) The ignition box starts a WiFi AP (Access Point)
5) On your phone, laptop, PC, whatever, go to the Wifi setting and search for a new SSID called Transmic_ign

Great find 2XSive thanks for posting. The instructions are very good, written for normal people to understand. It also looks far simpler than a Ignitec to programme. Love the wifi connection. Watching with interest.

I haven't read install instructions yet - gotta be better than czech translation for VAPE (done 2). Also, have an M-Unit blue on another bike; to pair my phone says....then push starter 3 times. Well, I didn't run the starter circuit through the M-Unit (we have wayz).:banghead::laugh2:

Heard back from Thiele. His response to my email:

Hello,

Actually you answer questions I asked to Jeff:

Yam XS650 is a 2 cyl. 4 stk. According to Wiki it's a 360° crankshaft. Right?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strai..._engine_with_different_crank_shaft_angles.gif

TCI has only ONE igntion coil output. A jumbo coil/twin coil can be attached that fire the 2 cyl at the same time (wasted spark)

Have you read https://transmic.fr/wp-content/fichiers/doc_cylinders_strokes.pdf too?

You must be careful with the current drawn by the twin coil. That's why I always advocate a twin coil over 2 coils in parallel !!
I'd really like to have the wiring diagram of the bike, can you send me one pdf?

Smth is not clear to me: Are there 2 points on the engine now?
Because this TCI needs either:
- a VR pickup (analog pickup coil that gives out a kind of sinus wave)
- a Hall Effect Sensor with a pullup resistor
- ONE point with a pullup resistor

Both Hall and point MUST give a ground going signal :

The best from far is the Hall Sensor !

OFC you will have to know the "pickup position" I described a few methods to measure it and the timing curve.

Cheers,
Th

Did ya send a schematic or shall I?

Have degree wheel - will travel......lol

Back