Project Motor - querie

LTGTR

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I would like to ask for some help from you guys.
I am getting a project motor (so I can learn). Its a 3GO engine number which makes it a 79-80 G model.
However the (reliable) owner has told me it has points and a non triggering alternator (not TCI) - which you guys have already explained happens with model changes. (G model would normally be TCI).
Mikes XS sells 2 engine seal kits:
01-9011 - listed as 70-79 up to F model
01-9010 - listed as 80-84 G model up
What could be the difference in seals between these 2 kits (the change over 79 to 80) (F-G).
When ordering any parts should I think of my motor as being a G model or because it still has points and normal alternator, should I be thinking of it as being like a pre TCI model. (F).
One last question - is there a difference in starter motors across the models.
Thanks for your help (again).
Kind Regards Ray.

The 1980 change from breaker points to TCI didn't happen in all venues; Oceania models still had points. Another 1980 change was elimination of the breaker point regulator and separate rectifier in favor of a solid state regulator-rectifier unit. I don't know if bikes sold in Oceania got this change or not. Starter motors are the same for all years. I have no idea what the difference in seal kits would be. AFAIK the only difference across the years is that there was no need for a starter motor seal in the XS1 and XS1B.

I have two 1980 XS 650 SE that had points .from factory in Sweden
I believe they are the pre 80 model type but cannot obviously answer for your motor.
Since you are in Australia it can Pay off to do a Online search for nearer and cheaper sellers
The freight from USA to Europe is expensive and if there are customs and so it might end up twice the purchase price.
There is also mention of varying quality of engine seals

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...LH_TitleDesc=0&_odkw=xs650+seal+kit&_osacat=0

According to the kit descriptions from Mike's, the difference is the '70-'79 kit has 6mm thick cam seals and the '80-'84 kit has 7mm thick cam seals. The thicker seals don't work so well so you would be better off with the 6mm (thinner) seals in the '70-'79 kit. Yamaha actually uses even thinner 5mm thick seals here now. If the 6mm thick kit seals give you issues, I'd recommend getting some of the factory 5mm thick ones.

As Griz states, all Oceania models had points up till the stopped selling here in 81. ..........check the engine no or post it up, to check/confirm

An 80 G model was never sold in Aus. ..........The motor may be from a US import, but if it has points and an B type stater then these parts would have to have been swapped in. US G models has The TCI ignition.

Odd about the seal kit differences from MikesXS.........same motor from 74-84 except for the ignition change in 80........early 74-84 447 motors used gaskets for the tappet covers and later models had a grove in the covers and used an O ring......That is usually covered in the gasket kits.........

I guess they figured since there's no points plate or advance unit on the later motors, that would alloy space for a thicker seal. But really, that's not the issue. The ends of the cam don't stick out very much on either side. That's where the issues arise with a thicker seal. The seal lips sometimes don't even make it onto the end of the cam. They say that thicker 7mm seal is an "improved" triple lip seal. Big deal. It wouldn't matter if it had like 20 extra lips, if they don't make it onto the end of the cam, they don't help or "improve" anything, lol. Basically, they do nothing.

Back