Project XS

atom4488

XS650 Addict
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Call me crazy, but there is a plan to resurrect this 1983 Special wreck.
002.jpg004.jpg
Why, you say? Reasonable question, given its state. I would like to build a "custom" but don't want to cut up or irreversibly modify my '77 XS D, so this is my blank canvas.
The Bad:
- seized, incomplete engine
- cut up wiring harness
- rusty to a degree, but not awful
The Good;
- chassis titled in my name
- have a complete/running engine
- have most if not all the parts to complete
In QC, a vehicle that has not been plated within the last 12 months needs to undergo an inspection. Modded bikes are frowned upon if not altogether uncertifiable. That said, the plan is to piece this together to the extent needed to pass an inspection. Once certified, it will get fully disassembled and built from a bare frame up. I will post as I go along, as I may need to encouragement along the way!

May well do that, Bob! For the time being, I think that I have most of my needs covered, as I have a fairly decent stash myself, plus I bought some bits from @DogBunny. We'll see as I start assembling.

It’s very possible Atom4488. I picked this one up from a cycle salvage with locked up just about everything. It’s a running riding machine, just working on fine tuning.B027A466-1699-419A-AB8F-50A77F82CA75.jpeg

A minor update... had a little time and a clear day to do a little work on the Special Wreck. Pulled the seat, fenders, front caliper, wiring harness and engine in preparation for pulling this into the shop. Completed a rebuild of a set of BS34's for the designated engine, which is a known runner with good compression but a noisy chain/guide. I need to continually remind myself that "the plan is to piece this together to the extent needed to pass an inspection". The build comes later, after the bike is certified as roadworthy.
83-2 (2).jpg
The designated engine had been previously tidied up and is ready to install as soon as the frame can be cleaned and touched up.
009.jpg010.jpg
Looking forward to being able to pursue this but have to tend to priorities in the short run. Updates to follow...

....well, been away far too long (in SWFL doing post-Ian restoration) and therefore haven't made any progress since last December. Did make a nice Marketplace find yesterday, though; a set of Yamaha R6 forks with wheel, discs, calipers, master cylinder, triples and clip-ons. The intention is to adapt the forks but stay with a 19" spoked wheel. Will be relying on the resident experts for guidance along the way, no doubt!001-2023_06_06 (1).jpg001-2023_06_06 (3).jpg

Back