Questions on PAMCO Electronic Ignition and secondary Resistance

XS650D

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Installed a PAMCO a while back and was reading some old posts regarding plug, plug wire and caps resistance for optimal results.
Im still a lil grey on exactly how its support to go. I have the Iridium NGK Resistor plugs and caps that came with the kit I ordered.
I installed some new plug wires also.These were recommended by 5 Twins at the time (7mm old vw beetle silicone wires) Im pretty sure there
non suppression wires but not positive, it does not state in the specs. The kit also came with the 17-6903 High output coil.
I checked the secondary resistance between plug caps with everything hooked up and got approx 24.5k ,That seems high based on what I read.
Should I change plug caps to non Resistor style or is everything ok to leave as is. Thx for any feedback. Ps: worth mentioning I tested
the bike with the gaps opened up to .040 and noticed a nice improvement in power,smoothness ,less vibration and easier starts. Cant believe im just
reading about this now after all these years with the bike. A definite worth doing tweak!!

The universal stance for ignitions is resistor plugs OR resistor caps, not both.
Guess the logic would be high resistance at both ends of the secondary just increases voltage in the circuit before a plug fires, increasing the chance of that voltage "leaking out" to ground somewhere along the path. Also may increase odds of electrical inference on nearby electronics and maybe internal breakdown of the coil.

Changed both plug caps and ohms dropped to 23k. I checked my wires,0 ohms so there non suppression style. I do have some NGK non resistance plug caps but I’m goin a run it for a bit the way it is.
Seems to start idle and run great.

Back