quick clutch assembly question

angus67

Welder's penetrate deeper!!
Reaction score
clutchbasketinset-vi.jpg

So.... Im putting my 80 clutch back together, and when I put the boss on the splines, the basket and boss isnt flush with each other were the 27mm nut goes. Do I have one to many washers after the basket? I have ...from case....2 washers, bushing, basket, mikes new throught bearing, then two washers . the boss. Shuold the two be flush, or should it look like the picture above?:confused:

- the correct order is...ID-OD-thickness in mm

first washer...25.2-36-1.0

second washer...25-50-2

spacer-bush

basket

washer...35-51-0.5

thrust bearing

washer...25-50-2

boss

washer

lockwasher

nut

i should mention I used this as a guide, http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143 ,but stiill a bit foggy. If I need to, I can post a picture of each and every washer as they go on. I already torquer 'er down, hope im not hurting any thing. The first washer against the case/bearing seemed a bit large, but laid flat in the recess. It spun, didnt seem to drag on the cases, but, after torquing down, was/took a bit of strenght to get the boss to turn, was easy before, and I know its in neutral.
I want to button up the right side of this motor soon.
Also, should I put anything on that right case gasket? or just the gasket? Whats the deal with the little copper washers on the lower cover bolts? are they needed to help seal against oil leaks? are they really nessesary? the gasket goes around the bolts. thoughts? Im wondering 'cuz I only have one of the washers.

- may have the wrong first washer, it shouldnt cover the whole bearing-if it pushes down on the outside of the bearing you will have problems...measure them with a micrometer

it looks like ther is a washer stuck to the basket. I tried to remove it thinking it was/wasnot attached to the basket. didnt come loose, so I put basket-bearing-washer washer

yes, I have the wrong first washer. I dont have one. I'll pick one up tomarrow. Need the four copper washers for the oil delivery tube, they will have that too.
As long as the inside diameter is 25mm, and the OD doesnt touch the outter race of the being, it will be ok, right?
Very odd... this collection of washers here.
Seems I have an extra 35-51-0.5. I have 2.

hmm.. seems like someone else was just talking about have an extra washer of the wrong size in their clutch. :umm:

about halfway down, op shows exactly the same washers I had.
I got the first washer on my way home tonight. A buck. Four copper washers for delivery tube, a buck.
anyways, got home put it all together, and everything spins as it should, I presume. the basket is geared to the crank, no turn, boss is free turning in neutral.
I have a q, though, if you look at the first pic in first post here, I still have a offset. thats the thick ness of the 25-50-2 washer that I left out this time. should there be an offset, or should the output shaft and boss splines be flush?
I have new clutches, soaked, drive plates are flat, although discolored, is that normal?,When Igot it all together, I squeezed the lever, and eek!! it moved!! The clutch is clutching!!
SO now I got 1104 on the case cover, gasket on it. position the cover/gasket to case, and wont go!!. Ive had this together off on for 4 years. I just had it all together a week ago. #$%^, so, alto of peeking around the cover, making sure the clutch isn't hitting the cover, I notice the kicker mech is out a tad. Bitch!! gasket is soaking, getting flimsy with all the on/off. And I cant remember how to put the kick back in. after racking my brain and my poor knees, I got it. I got the cover on, It didn't tear at the lower half of the cover, but the small part that goes around the locating dowel did above the oil pump. not all the way though, I do hope the gasket survived this. I only Yamahabond the side that touches the cover, so I can take it back off later if need be. read someone did that, and got many uses before it torn up..
This is a big step towards getting running. I can put oil in it now. Its been dry for a few years in side. When I cracked the halves to clean out the busted piston, it was carb cleaned to death, and dabs of assembly lube put on all the gears., now I need to fab some brackets for the carbs so when it backfires, it doesn't kick the carbs out of the boots, and make a coil mount. then switch boxes. yuk!!

thats Okay, then? because I have the correct washers now. but seems odd. But if you say so.... thats good! thank you John

Back