Quick question about brake light bulbs

1980 Special Twin

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have some electrical issues that I think could be remedied with an LED tail and brake light. But I like my setup and it would be very complicated for me to swap.
Do they make brake and tail light bulbs that plug into normal fittings? Like how LED replacement bulbs go in regular sockets?
I've tried to Google this many ways but they keep trying to sell me irrelevant stuff

So you have 1157 bulbs now?
Yes they make RED LEDs or White LEDs in 1157, red will not give you a white license plate light that you need on most stock XS650 models and some police WILL enforce that. Watch out for cheap bulbs with little differential between tail and brake brightness....
A few have tried flashing bulbs, but had issues cuz the flashed too many times also a code issue thing.

Ok yeah, found it. I got this one and the 1156 smaller one. Separate brake and tail bulbs. I was having some issues blowing fuses, i read mixing incandescent vs led (i have an led headlight) can do that. It hasn't happened for awhile so it could have been a loose connection i since fixed. But now i am running a mini lithium battery and my headlight dims when I hit the brake pedal. Either way, these little leds won't hurt!

I was having some issues blowing fuses, i read mixing incandescent vs led (i have an led headlight) can do that.
A fuse will blow when a short to ground passes enough current through it to exceed the amperage rating of the fuse. Mixing LED's and incandescents will not do that.

I didn't see how it would blow a fuse either, but the problem was too intermittent to really troubleshoot. I think I might have solved it but that's what we all think until it happens again.
I don't remember what I read here about funny electrical issues related to mixed leds and incandescents. Maybe just aesthetics, lol.

yeah anytime the fuses go poof the cutouts in the back of the headlight shell get inspected. ditto rear fender where the wires go through. But like you guess anywhere on the old paint shaker can be suspect. At the ozarks rally found a wire pinched under an airbox bracket on weathervane.

Yeah, i think that's where mine was going down. I drilled a little wire channel in the neck gusset for the headlight wires. I taped it up and so far so good. Gonna put a proper conduit in to make surem

Back