Real Estate Update

Hokey dokey sportsfans: my folks were here before 7:00 AM this morning and this morning, the set the posts and started framing:
P_B-8.jpg

...and later in the morning, yet more progress. My vintage bike buddies arrived for a look-see (and they also began figuring which corner would house the club's proposed tire changing machine and how many member's bikes could be stored in there....):
P_B-9.jpg

P_B-10.jpg

Next step: trusses in the air - and that should be this afternoon!

Pete

Last edited:
....aaannd now the trusses are up and the door and windows are framed-in!
P_B-11.jpg

The steel cladding and roof panels are ordered and should be here next Wed.-Thursday and then they and the overhead door will be installed next week. Then - the floor.

...and @bosco659 - I will permit both four-stroke and two-stroke bikes to come and visit my barn.

Pete

Are you installing metal roof that is covered on the inside to prevent condensation from forming/dripping? That is one thing I insisted on when I built my polebarn (Northern Michigan - similar climate). Looking good! Exciting to see it come together so quickly!

Are you installing metal roof that is covered on the inside to prevent condensation from forming/dripping? That is one thing I insisted on when I built my polebarn (Northern Michigan - similar climate). Looking good! Exciting to see it come together so quickly!
Yes - and it will be carefully vented to ensure a dry interior.

....aaannd now the trusses are up and the door and windows are framed-in!View attachment 221666

The steel cladding and roof panels are ordered and should be here next Wed.-Thursday and then they and the overhead door will be installed next week. Then - the floor.

...and @bosco659 - I will permit both four-stroke and two-stroke bikes to come and visit my barn.

Pete
I may just do that, thanks!

I may just do that, thanks!
Please do Vic! It would be best if you could ride the Water Buffalo down during mosquito season...you know, the smoke etc. (as a two-stroke rider, you must be used to being poked about that sort of thing :laughing:).

....and DE - the size is 20' x 40' x 12' - so 800 sf. and there will be a 4' x 11' wide "awning" over the overhead door (note the two posts set about 4' out from the front wall) on the west end.

P_B-13.jpg

The "man-door" is on the north side, set fairly far back as that aligns with the gate from the backyard.

P_B-17.jpg

There will be two nice big sliding windows - one facing north and the other east - toward the back boundary of the property (which is about 850 feet waaay back there.

P_B-15.jpg

That line of large trees way back there are ours and that is 1000' from the road that runs north-south on the west side of the property (the overhead door faces the road).

P_B-16.jpg

Anyhow, the building is as large as I am allowed (in fact, I am pushing it a tad because the real limit hereabouts on out-buildings is 750 sf.) and it is sited in the only GD##%@# place on the whole 4 (four) acres (that is 174, 240 square feet FFS) where it can be. Truth be told, I'd have preferred it about 50-75' further back - but was told NFW on that idea. We will plant some more trees out front and there is only a small bathroom window that is frosted glass on that side of the house, so it doesn't block any views (except of some crappy old stuff parked in the neighbour's driveway).

Oh well - when I am in there during the chilly season with my toys, a big-@ss TV and a BEvERage fridge, diggin' on some tunes, it'll be just fine.

Last edited:
Curiosity - why weren't you allowed to place it further back on the property? HOA?

Here, as long as you're 15 feet from the property line and (I think) 100 feet from water, you're good to go.

if you have good southern exposure, I would think about installing some hot air solar panels
Easy to build and the ones I have just have a countertop microwave fan to push the air through them and cheap bimetal snap switches to turn them on and off
Cheap free heat

Pete, the building is looking great, what a space to hang out in! 😃 I find the whole construction process fascinating , as it is done so differently than anything I’ve ever seen done here. Out here , our soil is so hard and dry and rocky, every building from backyard sheds to mansions, begin with a concrete slab, and basements are rare as hens teeth. Another hard and fast rule is, wood never touches the ground. With all the rain and snow you have, what keeps the wood in your structure from having water damage? Not a critique, I’m genuinely curious. Clearly that is the way its done in your neck of the woods.

Curiosity - why weren't you allowed to place it further back on the property? HOA?

Here, as long as you're 15 feet from the property line and (I think) 100 feet from water, you're good to go.

No - it is the local conservation authority who regulated it. This area is pretty flat and they are concerned about flooding and so they carefully regulate the grading of all of the land and the size and placement of buildings around here.

Our lot runs east-west and if you stare at the photo below (which is looking generally east-north-east), you will see a pond east of the house and "inner" yard where the pool is located. That little garden shed east of the pool area is non-conforming but the former owner was allowed to keep it - so we're OK.

1XB2T6DECHBL_l.jpg

As Gary said, the material dug out for the pond was used to create a large mound toward the front (western end) of the property and the house and any other structures must be on that mound - but no more fill can be brought in to expand the mound. Several of our neighbors have similar ponds. My new barn is about where the three large evergreens are in the photo (and these have now been moved a bit closer to the road). Anyhow - that's the deal.

BTW - this region has many really good wineries and there is a big one (Muscedere Vineyards) just beyond the large treed area on the other (east) side of the farmer's field behind our place. That winery is about a 1.6 km (a mile) walk east of our house and they have a great wood-fired pizza oven. Also, there is a walking trail just on the east side of that big treed area. The trail follows an old railway track (now removed - sadly) and it runs all the way across Essex County - many miles from Windsor in the northwest to Leamington and beyond in the southeast. It is maintained by the County and is a very pleasant way to get some exercise and see the countryside.

The entire area - including the farmer's fields - is drained and feeds into Lake Erie (the smallest of the Great Lakes) which is about...10-15 km south of us.

Pete

Last edited:
Pete, the building is looking great, what a space to hang out in! 😃 I find the whole construction process fascinating , as it is done so differently than anything I’ve ever seen done here. Out here , our soil is so hard and dry and rocky, every building from backyard sheds to mansions, begin with a concrete slab, and basements are rare as hens teeth. Another hard and fast rule is, wood never touches the ground. With all the rain and snow you have, what keeps the wood in your structure from having water damage? Not a critique, I’m genuinely curious. Clearly that is the way its done in your neck of the woods.

The Ontario Building Code requires that any wood that touches the ground is pressure-treated with anti-rot chemicals (note the brownish hue - those chemicals are quite nasty really) and the lot is graded and has weeping tile drains installed to carry away any standing water. Basically, it is a battle to keep things painted and as dry as possible Bob.

Back