Real Estate Update

Ah. At least it's based on sound logic and not some busy-body's subjective opinion.

(If you couldn't tell, I would live in a refrigerator box before I'd submit to an HOA...)
Me too DE. The best neighbors are the ones you cannot see or hear and who live several miles away. HOAs are not very common here - and I hate being told what to do - by anyone.

Last edited:
The Ontario Building Code requires that any wood that touches the ground is pressure-treated with anti-rot chemicals (note the brownish hue - those chemicals are quite nasty really) and the lot is graded and has weeping tile drains installed to carry away any standing water. Basically, it is a battle to keep things painted and as dry as possible Bob.
Pete, if I may make a suggestion. I assume your floor will be concrete. If so, I recommend that if you paint the floor, DO NOT paint it using those colored flakes in the paint. It looks great, but when you drop small parts, you'll play hell finding them. Trust me, I've been there. If you stick with a grey or tan you will have easy clean up and ease of finding errant small parts (does not help find missing 10mm sockets).

Pete, if I may make a suggestion. I assume your floor will be concrete. If so, I recommend that if you paint the floor, DO NOT paint it using those colored flakes in the paint. It looks great, but when you drop small parts, you'll play hell finding them. Trust me, I've been there. If you stick with a grey or tan you will have easy clean up and ease of finding errant small parts (does not help find missing 10mm sockets).

GREAT suggestions 46 - you must know how prone I am to dropping things on the floor (almost always a 10 mm socket for some reason...).

P

Reminds me of a property I had in coastal Alabama. When you want to build a structure you need a septic system which means a county agent must come do a "perc" test of the soil to see if it permits fluid to soak in quick enough.
The first foot of soil has been farmed for so many years, and other materials brought in to make it suitable for crops that there is now a hard pan. If you try and test the hard pan the test will fail and you have to install an above ground level "engineered system"
The county agents cousin owns the "engineered system" company, Go Figure.
I later installed a satellite dish for TV and needed to drive in a ground rod. Used a rubber mallet to tap it in the first 6" and then pushed in down another two feet by hand.
Less than 10 miles from the coast, below 1 foot it's all sand, so much for raised mounds. We jokingly referred to it as "Mount PooPoo"

The most comedic part is you contract them to build the "engineered system", they first bring in several dump loads of sand and build a Mesa, 3' high, 30' x 30' square with sloped sides. The county agent then has to do a perc test on the sand mound which will of course pass then the contractor comes out and basically tears it all up to install the Infiltrator network and cover it all back up and make it look nice again. Then you're required to grow grass on it so it doesn't wash away.

Hey Pete, fwiw, for heating my polebarn I can attest to the efficiency of in-floor radiant heat. Nothing beats having the floor warm during cold winter days. Had an HVAC friend of mine run the tubes prior to pooring the floor. Laid like 3" insulation boards first, then plastic vapor barrier, then tubing that ran to a central manifold. The boiler I use is propane and it is basically a glorified instant high efficiency hot water heater. Made by Veissman, here. Really love the system!

My brother built his newest auto repair garage in MD with radiant heat floors in the shop area. They also have a car wash and quick oil change lines and use the waste motor oil to power the boiler, not only heats the floors but the recycled car wash water as well.

Hey Pete, fwiw, for heating my polebarn I can attest to the efficiency of in-floor radiant heat. Nothing beats having the floor warm during cold winter days. Had an HVAC friend of mine run the tubes prior to pooring the floor. Laid like 3" insulation boards first, then plastic vapor barrier, then tubing that ran to a central manifold. The boiler I use is propane and it is basically a glorified instant high efficiency hot water heater. Made by Veissman, here. Really love the system!

We have natural gas about 24 feet away from the barn (tee-ing into the line would be a trivial task - but I am dithering between a gas and an electric boiler. I guess I will use gas as it is <presently at least> cheaper than hydro.

I also plan to install a mini-split A/C unit - any thoughts on those? And remember, this is a one-room, 800 sq.ft building with essentially no internal walls and it should have decent insulation under the floor, above the ceiling and in the walls plus good windows.

Last edited:
so much for raised mounds. We jokingly referred to it as "Mount PooPoo"

Yeah, I understand but around here, the soil is clay - very dense, hard clay and it extends down pretty far I am told so stability isn't a bit problem.

Now, about that brother who owns the engineering firm....yup, I've heard about those sorts of deals too.

We have natural gas about 12 feet away from the barn (tee-ing into the line would be a trivial task - but I am dithering between a gas and an electric boiler. I guess I will use gas as it is <presently at least> cheaper than hydro.

I also plan to install a mini-split A/C unit - any thoughts on those? And remember, this is a one-room, 800 sq.ft building with essentially no internal walls and it should have decent insulation under the floor, above the ceiling and in the walls plus good windows.
Mini-split should work fine and is much cheaper. It'll be colder down at your feet is all. My polebarn is similar size with 16 foot ceiling. Have a small room inside for the wife she-shed with storeage above. Reason I like the in-floor is due to ambient heating. Concrete floor holds heat and radiates up, silently heating everything. The pump stays on full-time and boiler only kicks on when needed, sometimes heating water/antifreeze only to 75-80f degrees to warm the inside to 60f or so. Just takes awhile to feel the warmer temps whereas mini-split will be instant.

For AC a sleeve to fit a window unit mounted up high on a wall with minimal sunlight exposure. Low cost, easy upgrade/replacement.
chip in epoxy while it's true the chips hide little parts better, they also make a slightly rough surface. Smooth epoxy might was well be an iceskating rink once anything is spilled or dripped (not to even hint any motorcycles we are familiar with might drip in the slightest) on it.
I prefer my trips to the floor be planned with a flashlight in hand. (for finding small parts).

Reminds me of a property I had in coastal Alabama. When you want to build a structure you need a septic system which means a county agent must come do a "perc" test of the soil to see if it permits fluid to soak in quick enough.
The first foot of soil has been farmed for so many years, and other materials brought in to make it suitable for crops that there is now a hard pan. If you try and test the hard pan the test will fail and you have to install an above ground level "engineered system"
The county agents cousin owns the "engineered system" company, Go Figure.
I later installed a satellite dish for TV and needed to drive in a ground rod. Used a rubber mallet to tap it in the first 6" and then pushed in down another two feet by hand.
Less than 10 miles from the coast, below 1 foot it's all sand, so much for raised mounds. We jokingly referred to it as "Mount PooPoo"

The most comedic part is you contract them to build the "engineered system", they first bring in several dump loads of sand and build a Mesa, 3' high, 30' x 30' square with sloped sides. The county agent then has to do a perc test on the sand mound which will of course pass then the contractor comes out and basically tears it all up to install the Infiltrator network and cover it all back up and make it look nice again. Then you're required to grow grass on it so it doesn't wash away.
Same here in N.E. Fla. When I built the shop, I had several loads of hardpan brought in to go under the slab, and my concrete guy packed it good. 12 years later zero cracks on the 30x70 shop and 30x20 apron. Mt Poo Poo, I like that! We've backfilled ours enough that unless you tell someone, they never know as it looks natural. Of course, I live in the country and am blessed to have acreage.

For AC a sleeve to fit a window unit mounted up high on a wall with minimal sunlight exposure. Low cost, easy upgrade/replacement.
chip in epoxy while it's true the chips hide little parts better, they also make a slightly rough surface. Smooth epoxy might was well be an iceskating rink once anything is spilled or dripped (not to even hint any motorcycles we are familiar with might drip in the slightest) on it.
I prefer my trips to the floor be planned with a flashlight in hand. (for finding small parts).

Love my mini-split! I'm only @ 576sqft; Good cooling and a heat-strip that's good above 50* (below that, the overhead gets turned on). Will have a 900sqft addition, starting in Oct - need more room for more builds. lol

Okey dokey - so the framing is now just about done and the crew is ready for the steel cladding (due on Wednesday or Thursday). Here are some shots at the end of the day today - and it shows that little "awning" I was mentioning earlier.

P_B-18.JPG

I quite like it - it breaks up the boxy lines of the building and gives it a bit of "style" IMO.

P_B-22.JPG

I'll get back to you on this when the steel arrives next week.

...and hey - I just noticed that Inspector B is in this shot too. I guess I'd better clean the camera lens on my poor old iPhone.

Pete

Last edited:
Okey dokey - so the framing is now just about done and the crew is ready for the steel cladding (due on Wednesday or Thursday). Here are some shots of the end of the day today - and it shows that little "awning" I was mentioning earlier.

View attachment 221728

I guite like it - it breaks up the boxy lines of the building and gives it a bit of "style" IMO.

View attachment 221729

I'll get back to you on this when the steel arrives next week.

...and hey - I just noticed that Inspector B is in this shot too. I guess I'd better clean the camera lens on my poor old iPhone.

Pete
Lookin' good Pete. I know you're getting exited!

Back