Real Estate Update

hotshop13.jpg

hotshop14.jpg

#1 Grandson came down for another work day today. We got all of the drywall hung except for some narrow strips along the winch framing and a couple lower pieces on the wall. All easy stuff I can do myself.

#2 Grandson will be down tomorrow to help me install the double man door. After that, it's mud, paint and electrical.

Also got a reply from the utility people and submitted the forms to have a pole set and the electrical service connected. No idea WHEN yet, but at least it's on the horizon.

hotshop15.jpg

hotshop16.jpg

Got all the drywall up, did a quick and dirty (mostly dirty...) tape job and slapped a coat of primer on it.

Rolling the ceiling about did my shoulders in, NOT looking forward to a second coat.

Plan is to have #2 Grandson down Sunday and install the door then it's on to the electrical.

Just a thought. When I built my shop I put all the conduit on the outside of the walls. It's a shop so what if the conduit shows. Also ran a 360 degree perimeter run with J-boxes every 6 feet or so. If I add something makes it easy to make a short run of conduit and pull wires. Remember to leave pull wires in conduit. I used 1 1/2 from breaker box to first box and then 1 inch all the way around. If I had to do it over again I would go bigger. I think it's better than having to make a long run as things are added or moved.
upload_2021-6-3_18-6-18.png

upload_2021-6-3_18-8-58.png

upload_2021-6-3_18-11-17.png
upload_2021-6-3_18-12-2.png
upload_2021-6-3_18-12-44.png

GLJ, that's my plan: Surface mounted boxes and EMT, and for the same reasons - easier to do, easier to modify. Don't think I need to go as big as 1inch tho, pretty simple lay out. Double duplex boxes every 5-6 feet down the walls, and some ceiling outlets. I'm going with daisy-chained LED lights on the ceiling.

Couple of 220 runs, one for welders, one for the air compressor.

I have a new 100 amp box on the wall so if I develop a need for more later, there's plenty of room.

GLJ, that's my plan: Surface mounted boxes and EMT, and for the same reasons - easier to do, easier to modify. Don't think I need to go as big as 1inch tho, pretty simple lay out. Double duplex boxes every 5-6 feet down the walls, and some ceiling outlets. I'm going with daisy-chained LED lights on the ceiling.

Couple of 220 runs, one for welders, one for the air compressor.

I have a new 100 amp box on the wall so if I develop a need for more later, there's plenty of room.
My box is also 100 amp. Pipes fill up faster than what you think. Plus you never know what you may add in the future. Bigger is better.:sick: Size can make things easier. Better too have to much room than not enough. Just thoughts and lessons learned.

With 1" into 4x4 boxes for outlets the 220 20 amp circuits can be pulled through the same pipe. In a one man shop a 20 amp 220 circuit with several outlets can be quite handy what with 3 phase machines and VFDs

Last edited:
When I insulated The Shop To Be, I put R5 blue board between the rafters just under the tin roof, R19 batts in the ceiling joists and R15 rock wool in the stud bays. 1/2" dry wall on walls and ceiling.

It is 92° in the shade outside, and not a cloud in the sky. In my essentially uninsulated garage with the overhead doors open, it's 86°

In TSTB, with no windows and the door closed, it's 70° Started on the electrical as it was so comfy in there. Too freakin' hot for this old Yankee to be doing anything else.

If it keeps the warm in this Winter as well as it's keeping the hot out now, I'll be a happy camper.

When I insulated The Shop To Be, I put R5 blue board between the rafters just under the tin roof, R19 batts in the ceiling joists and R15 rock wool in the stud bays. 1/2" dry wall on walls and ceiling.

It is 92° in the shade outside, and not a cloud in the sky. In my essentially uninsulated garage with the overhead doors open, it's 86°

In TSTB, with no windows and the door closed, it's 70° Started on the electrical as it was so comfy in there. Too freakin' hot for this old Yankee to be doing anything else.

If it keeps the warm in this Winter as well as it's keeping the hot out now, I'll be a happy camper.
It's 91 out right now and inside the shop it's 75
I put R60 cellulose in the attic and ventilated every stud bay (plus continues ridge vent) and filled the walls with 3 1/2" fiberglass in the wall
I keep a window air conditioner handy but seldom have to use it unless the big doors get open for awhile

Same here. The winter insulation I put in to my workshop (6" rockwool above, 2" of polystyrene on the walls) makes it cosy in the winter and cool in the summer. It's helped in summer by having a space a storey high above the roof too, where the hot air goes out a roof vent.

hotshop17.jpg

hotshop18.jpg

hotshop19.jpg

Conduit and boxes done for outlets around the walls, wire pulled. I'll wire up the outlets tomorrow. Waiting on my LED shop lights to come in and I'll run the conduit, boxes and wires for them. Didn't trust my ability to bend nice 90's in 3/4 EMT so I splurged and went with ells and couplers.

The hoopdee around the old breaker panel is because it's my only source of power until the utility company hooks me up, plus I'd have had to re-run a bunch of romex for the existing outlets and lights. Easier to just leave it. I'll feed it as a sub-panel from the new box once it's powered up.

The missing drywall under it is so when I re-home it I can pull the direct burial wire that's feeding it at the moment.

Attachments

• hotshop17.jpg
    hotshop17.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 128
  • hotshop18.jpg
    hotshop18.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 122
  • hotshop19.jpg
    hotshop19.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 125
Kind of wish I had thought to do garage with conduit in place of Romex in walls, just for the ease of future up dates. Even had friend who was a retired electrician with all the benders and such and probably could have got much of the fittings and boxes for free or cost of paying for dinner when we went out!

And besides at that time the electrician at the quarry was pretty free with company supplies if you get my drift, so a reel or two of wire would have been easy to acquire. They also had the air tools to shoot a string through the conduit from box to box. A lot faster than using a fish!

Back